Default WOW! The girls were PO'd this morning!

First off, here in Mississippi, we've been having much colder than normal weather. Temps have been below freezing at night. This morning, I made some 2 to 1 syrup to give to my girls, since the temps were supposed to level off, I went and put the feeder on one hive, no problems, the next hive, OMG, they hit me 4 or 5 times before I could get the feeder on. Never seen them do like that. They suddenly just swarmed out of the hive and went nuts! Oh well, maybe they will be happy with the feeding.

Default Re: WOW! The girls were PO'd this morning!

Bees get mad in Fall/Winter. I got zapped the other day helping some stragglers back to the hive as I had to move it a couple hundred feet a week earlier. One of the guards took offense and just straight up zapped me in the wrist. Typically they ignore me but since it cooled off, an few angry bees is norm just getting close.

Mine were sweeties this afternoon. Temperature was about 70 and sunny just a little windy.

You have to remember that they are "girls." I had the same thing happen to me back in the summer. I just wanted to remove the inner cover and see how many frames were full in the top box. This was something I had done to all of my hives several times with zero stings. When I pulled the inner cover that day, the bees reacted viciously. I only got 12 stings, but those girls were flying around my head in large numbers. The next week I did the same thing with my bee suit on and they didn't even notice that I was there. I did the same thing today with no problem. I truly don't know.

I did a cutout just the other day under a house trailer. I expected to get tore-up. The I only took 2 hits on my back, that was when I laid on them. When I went to check on them a few days later, they met me at the hive top in full force. You just never know how they are going to act, ESPECIALLY this time of your.

With my bees, the color of my clothes seems to be a factor in their response: Less response with white (or pastels) and more with darker colors. I know it may seem condescending, but this basic fact will make a diffenence and you can easily choose the colors you wear when you just want a peek.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Our Russians got me 23 times the other day when I was topping off the feeders.

What do you expect in a home dominated by females? You can never tell their mood. What was fine yesterday is not fine today.......yada, yada, yada........(just like real life). (And yes, I'm sexist here, but what's true is true).

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    What do you expect in a home dominated by females? You can never tell their mood. What was fine yesterday is not fine today.......yada, yada, yada........(just like real life).
    Wow, are you ever right! Great point.

The critters that raid beehives are all dark colored -- should be a hint that light colors trigger the bees off less.

Peter

Peter is right. So, given that, if you guys would wear white more often while you are around women, you will experience our moods much less frequently.
    I can't believe you are just now seeing this.

Sondra
    (Yeah. Female.)

Quote Originally Posted by SRBrooks View Post
    .... if you guys would wear white more often while you are around women, you will experience our moods much less frequently.

Sondra
    (Yeah. Female.)
    The trouble with that statement is we never know WHAT moods (and that changes daily) we'll experience less frequently! Some, we'd guys would like to experience more often!!!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

You mean your beesuit doesn't do it for her? Now I've heard everything.

Peter is right. So, given that, if you guys would wear white more often while you are around women, you will experience our moods much less frequently.

Sondra
    (Yeah. Female.)
    Note to self: Wear white more often. Thanks for the tip Sondra, does white hair count?
    Last edited by Lburou; 11-20-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Note to self: Wear white more often. Thanks for the tip Sondra
    On no Lee! The females are trying to train you and you're falling for it........

Lee: With white hair comes great responsibility. You must be wiser than most!!!

Mr. SNL: Their hives may be dominated by females, but wouldn't you expect them to be put out with guys that lounge around all day on the comb, expecting to be waited on? They're comb potatoes!!!

Mr. SNL: Their hives may be dominated by females, but wouldn't you expect them to be put out with guys that lounge around all day on the comb, expecting to be waited on?
    Oh yes I do expect them to wait on me while I lounge on the comb, after all w/o me..........a future (who does nothing but lay eggs) queen would have no one in which to mate! But alas, just in real life, once we mate, we die...............

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Oh yes I do expect them to wait on me while I lounge on the comb, after all w/o me..........a future (who does nothing but lay eggs) queen would have no one in which to mate! But alas, just in real life, once we mate, we die...............
    Boy you sound like a great mate to chose for a life long work your poor mate.

Back to the real Thread i have one hive right now if ya walk in front even when in the 40s they are on me . thats the first one to be requeened next spring.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    Boy you sound like a great mate to chose for a life long work your poor mate.
    This is just fun bantering back & forth. My wife would KILL me if she saw what I wrote!