Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie trying to find alternative ways to get involved with beekeeping

FIRST LET ME SAY WELCOME!. two you are among a bunch of great , and helpful people here , 3 we have a chat room that fun to be ,but sometime it get a little crazy there,lol,, and we do have experts in this forum some even have books out on beekeeping, you will learn alot in this forum , because im a newbie and started beekeeping in 2012 got my first swarm on april and just got just got my second swarm last week small swarm about a 1000 africanized bees, here in Puerto Rico, i am in a very tight budget also ,and the way i got around it is i made my own hive , made a top bar and noc hives and trap which are easy to build , here the link to the spec on diff hives you could build yourself from beesouce , http://www.beesource.com/resources/e...-hive-designs/ also you tube has tons of infor on beekeeping and building your own hives , one guy come to mind that show all about beekeeping and gear is outofabluesky on youtube, as for gloves use the dish washing rubber glove are ok welding gloves are way to thick to work with. first thing you need to fight is fear when you working with 10,000 to 30,000 bees , you just have to respect them, and it best to start with two hive not one ,that way if one is weak , you could take blood from the other hive or eggs laves , good luck!

Default Re: Newbie trying to find alternative ways to get involved with beekeeping

Thanks for the welcome, Rafael, and congratulations on your swarms! I've been watching YouTube videos of swarm captures and will be putting out a trap this spring. As far as I'm concerned it's not "beekeeping activity" because I'll be doing the HOA a favor by removing the "menace" of honeybees (lol) and relocating them somewhere they'll be properly appreciated! Everything we see points to starting with 2 hives. Perhaps this will save money AND give us bees suitable for our area.

I'm in the process of sewing bee veils. They will probably get a few laughs (tulle is a pain to work with), but are only costing me $1.50 each!

sewing your own veils? you've got the beekeeper mentality already

At that price I'd suggest sewing a few backups. Unless your tulle is pretty high-strength stuff, I'm imagining you're going to get a tear sooner or later, and it will inevitabley come when you're standing over an open hive and the girls have decided they don't really want to be inspected that day. Being able to hold the tear shut, calmly walk away, and then come back w/a new veil in a minute or so will make that experience low stress on everyone.

I agree tulle is not an optimal bee veil choice, but if you use it, choose black as it is easier to see through.

Jim, take note of Wilson. Make sure his name gets on the right list! We gotta watch out for those naysayers.
    Regards, Barry

What do you mean by that?

but we don't have the money to get involved just yet, nor a place to put the bees even if we had the funds (we are diligently trying to change our situation) dont know what kind of house you have but the roof is a good place to put bees believe it or not that is where i have my bees at this moment on the roof no one will bother them there and they wont bother anyone because they are up high , in NYc the beekeepers put their hive on 50 + floor roof and the bee know how to go back home!!!

We may have found a yard, but it's quite a distance from us and I'm thinking the owner may be having second thoughts. Time will tell. Unfortunately, all the local places I've inquired are either not interested or are already hosting hives.

As a plan B, I'm thinking about buying full suits to concentrate on swarms (eventually cut-outs) and working with other beekeepers for a year. The more I think about Plan B, the more I think it could become a very viable Plan A. It's a stretch, but will likely to lead to lower long-term cost. In the meantime, I can build these nuc boxes for cheap in case things do work out.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by urbanoutlaw; 12-12-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: clarification

Plan B doesn't solve not having a place to put the hives. I am not saying plan B is a bad idea.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Plan B will never work!!! As soon as you start catching bees you will want some for your own hives! LOL

So maybe Plan B buys me time? Is the "logical" choice? Nevermind. Now that you've opened THAT can of worms, taydeko, I know I'd get antsy and do some guerrilla beekeeping if it came down to it.

I wonder if catching a swarm would be analogous to "first one's free" and I will be saddled with an incurable addiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Plan B doesn't solve not having a place to put the hives. I am not saying plan B is a bad idea.
    Also, I don't know if the owner is even having second thoughts. Just a combination of my own personal paranoia/phobia. But better to be prepared rather than taken by surprise than to have 3# of bees and a nuc and nowhere for them to stay.

Consider starting a beekeeping program at a local school!
    They'll often provide some of the needed startup, and you'd be learning with the students (and I'd highly recommend a local beekeeper with experience as well). Check out the website below, or just google 'college beekeeper'
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutlaw View Post
    .... I wonder if catching a swarm would be analogous to "first one's free" and I will be saddled with an incurable addiction?
    Seriously, I think your plan B is a good one, but I think you probably would end up with an incurable addiction, if you enjoy the work. Some people don't. Your plan would give you a chance to get experience and maybe help other beeks with the bees you catch.

Ted

The logical side of me really likes Plan B. We decided to sell off things from old hobbies. It's been bittersweet as they're either things we can't afford to do anymore or I can't do them for medical reasons. Good news is it gives us a few extra dollars to get those suits! My husband is under the impression that he can find a "sting-proof" suit. I am not holding my breath on that one....

My ADD side HATES Plan B like the plague. BTW - this is the same side that convinced me to make bee veils and now has me working on a hive smoker. This smoke is hideous, but it works!! But I don't think I want to be seen in public with it.

In the meantime, I can build these nuc boxes for cheap in case things do work out.
    I just put together my first one of these last night. Nice, easy, functional nuc/swarm trap

Urbanoutlaw, VA just passed a law providing a grant of $200 per hive for anyone starting a new hive in 2013 and beyond. The maximum grant is $2400. It covers boxes, frames and foundation and some other things. When I get home I'll pull up the email I received from my association and post it.

Which brings up my next point. The Loudoun Beekeepers Association meets in Leesburg which is just up Rt. 15 from you. Not very close by to you, but not too far either. They may have room in their class starting this winter. I took it last year, it's great. It was $85 last year, my wife and I took it together, only had to pay one fee for both of us. It includes text books and lecture notes on a DVD, and membership in the LBA and the state association.

Lastly, do you know anyone in the Boy Scouts? Camp Snyder is in Haymarket, they may have a spot on a corner of their property away from where the scouts roam. It's possible they might agree to let you put a hive or two there. Ask the care taker, contact info is on their website. Worst case is they say no. I might also call the folks who run Millbrook Quarry, where the do scuba certifications. They have land around the old quarry and may consider hives as long as they are not in the midst of the divers and picnickers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    Urbanoutlaw, VA just passed a law providing a grant of $200 per hive for anyone starting a new hive in 2013 and beyond. The maximum grant is $2400.
    Nice! That would be enough to get any small time operation off and running!

Yes, I corresponded with VDACS and am hoping to apply for the grant. I think I will have LOTS of competition so don't want to get my hopes up or rely upon getting reimbursement. Probably established beekeepers will be in a better position to be selected. The one thing the grant doesn't cover that I wish it did is the bees.

I'm still REALLY trying to talk myself into the Plan B option although I can't say it's my favorite.

In the meantime, I can build these nuc boxes for cheap in case things do work out.

Thoughts?
    Just a small thought ...if you build these boxes, making them wider to accommodate 8 to 10 frames, they would be hives instead of nucs.