Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Newbie trying to find alternative ways to get involved with beekeeping

23K views 89 replies 36 participants last post by  urbanoutlaw 
#1 ·
First time poster here.

My husband has convinced me to be VERY interested in beekeeping, but we don't have the money to get involved just yet, nor a place to put the bees even if we had the funds (we are diligently trying to change our situation) - and, the local bee club's 2013 course is already full. We're not looking for sympathy or free stuff, just an opportunity to learn from real human beings in addition to what we find online.

We're thinking of finding/asking established beekeepers to letting us newbies observe them in the field. This way we could still bee involved, get experience, etc. We also plan to go to club meetings, but I'm definitely more of a hands-on person.

Any other suggestions for getting involved?

Thanks in advance.

#42 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Rafael, and congratulations on your swarms! I've been watching YouTube videos of swarm captures and will be putting out a trap this spring. As far as I'm concerned it's not "beekeeping activity" because I'll be doing the HOA a favor by removing the "menace" of honeybees (lol) and relocating them somewhere they'll be properly appreciated! Everything we see points to starting with 2 hives. Perhaps this will save money AND give us bees suitable for our area.

I'm in the process of sewing bee veils. They will probably get a few laughs (tulle is a pain to work with), but are only costing me $1.50 each!

#43 ·
sewing your own veils? you've got the beekeeper mentality already :)

At that price I'd suggest sewing a few backups. Unless your tulle is pretty high-strength stuff, I'm imagining you're going to get a tear sooner or later, and it will inevitabley come when you're standing over an open hive and the girls have decided they don't really want to be inspected that day. Being able to hold the tear shut, calmly walk away, and then come back w/a new veil in a minute or so will make that experience low stress on everyone.

#47 ·
but we don't have the money to get involved just yet, nor a place to put the bees even if we had the funds (we are diligently trying to change our situation) dont know what kind of house you have but the roof is a good place to put bees believe it or not that is where i have my bees at this moment on the roof no one will bother them there and they wont bother anyone because they are up high , in NYc the beekeepers put their hive on 50 + floor roof and the bee know how to go back home!!!

#48 · (Edited)
We may have found a yard, but it's quite a distance from us and I'm thinking the owner may be having second thoughts. Time will tell. Unfortunately, all the local places I've inquired are either not interested or are already hosting hives.

As a plan B, I'm thinking about buying full suits to concentrate on swarms (eventually cut-outs) and working with other beekeepers for a year. The more I think about Plan B, the more I think it could become a very viable Plan A. It's a stretch, but will likely to lead to lower long-term cost. In the meantime, I can build these nuc boxes for cheap in case things do work out.

Thoughts?

#51 ·
So maybe Plan B buys me time? Is the "logical" choice? Nevermind. Now that you've opened THAT can of worms, taydeko, I know I'd get antsy and do some guerrilla beekeeping if it came down to it.

I wonder if catching a swarm would be analogous to "first one's free" and I will be saddled with an incurable addiction?

#54 ·
.... I wonder if catching a swarm would be analogous to "first one's free" and I will be saddled with an incurable addiction?
Seriously, I think your plan B is a good one, but I think you probably would end up with an incurable addiction, if you enjoy the work. Some people don't. Your plan would give you a chance to get experience and maybe help other beeks with the bees you catch.

Ted

#55 ·
The logical side of me really likes Plan B. We decided to sell off things from old hobbies. It's been bittersweet as they're either things we can't afford to do anymore or I can't do them for medical reasons. Good news is it gives us a few extra dollars to get those suits! My husband is under the impression that he can find a "sting-proof" suit. I am not holding my breath on that one....

My ADD side HATES Plan B like the plague. BTW - this is the same side that convinced me to make bee veils and now has me working on a hive smoker. This smoke is hideous, but it works!! But I don't think I want to be seen in public with it. :)

#57 ·
Urbanoutlaw, VA just passed a law providing a grant of $200 per hive for anyone starting a new hive in 2013 and beyond. The maximum grant is $2400. It covers boxes, frames and foundation and some other things. When I get home I'll pull up the email I received from my association and post it.

Which brings up my next point. The Loudoun Beekeepers Association meets in Leesburg which is just up Rt. 15 from you. Not very close by to you, but not too far either. They may have room in their class starting this winter. I took it last year, it's great. It was $85 last year, my wife and I took it together, only had to pay one fee for both of us. It includes text books and lecture notes on a DVD, and membership in the LBA and the state association.

Lastly, do you know anyone in the Boy Scouts? Camp Snyder is in Haymarket, they may have a spot on a corner of their property away from where the scouts roam. It's possible they might agree to let you put a hive or two there. Ask the care taker, contact info is on their website. Worst case is they say no. I might also call the folks who run Millbrook Quarry, where the do scuba certifications. They have land around the old quarry and may consider hives as long as they are not in the midst of the divers and picnickers etc.

#59 ·
Yes, I corresponded with VDACS and am hoping to apply for the grant. I think I will have LOTS of competition so don't want to get my hopes up or rely upon getting reimbursement. Probably established beekeepers will be in a better position to be selected. The one thing the grant doesn't cover that I wish it did is the bees.

I'm still REALLY trying to talk myself into the Plan B option although I can't say it's my favorite.

#61 ·
For those of you that are on a VERY low budget...lol

I sent out email to various local universities here in FL and asked if there was the possibility of finding some to donate a hive. Lo and behold...someone passed my request along the "net" and I was able to pick up a donated hive (2 deeps, 10 frames each) with a nice Italian queen.

It was already inspected by the state (as required in FL) so all I have to do was go get it!!

If you do it this way...make sure you strap the hive together very carefully!!!! You don't want to be seen going down the highway wearing your bee suit....lol

Bobby

#65 ·
As you may know, looks like the grant may be history. Luckily I made a few sales on CL and things are looking good (had some cool hobbies in a past life).

Now that we have some seed money, bought plywood for the nucs/boxes and cut them using a circular saw. Is there a trick to nailing the pieces together? Seems like I'm trying to nail rocks together -- are these things intended to be nailed together with a staple/nail gun?

#66 ·
When you are trying to make a corner joint with plywood it is easier and stronger if you glue / nail a 3/4 sq piece of pine on one of the pieces. I would put it on the front and back pieces. You can then nail better or use a drywall screw into the pine to hold the side pieces together.

#68 ·
Im building my Top Bar Hives from reclaimed pallets so it costs me nothing. Building TBHs is way too easy. If there are cracks in the hive the bees will propolise it, so no worries if you are not a skilled woodworker ;)
I started my beekeeping journey last year thanks to reading Phil Chandler's book The Barefoot Beekeeper - Low cost Beeekeeping.

http://www.biobees.com/how_to_start_beekeeping.php

I find that Michael Bush's way of building Kenya Top Bar Hives is by far the fastest and easiest :)
Click on the first 3 pictures please;
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
He uses top entrance and a very simple roofing (check on his site)

Good luck

#70 ·
Finishing up my "cheap" storage bin TBH from stuff lying around the sheds.....lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89941531@N07/8186809920/in/photostream
nice idea, you need to get some sand paper and rough up the inside surface so the bees have a easy time getting around ,shining plastic don't let bee grab on the surface to good, also cover anything that look like a hole or cave, it a good place for wax moth and beetle to hide, even a mouse! good luck

#71 · (Edited)
Wall o' text and other ramblings

Not-So-Quick update:

Hives: We ended up buying new, unassembled Langstroth. With the possibility of relocation in the not-so-far future, I wanted hives that are easily transported. My father is also interested in trying his hand at building some hives. I had some unexpected medical expenses, so we need to be a little more creative. One of our "creative" solutions is going foundationless :rolleyes:. If I can source a drawn comb or two and sandwich foundationless frames, maybe things will get drawn properly (yes, we'll certainly level the hive first!). Just keeping my fingers crossed I don't get too much wonky comb.

Clothing: I bought white scrub bottoms cheap to go with an old Oxford shirt. I've already made several veils using the design posted earlier in the thread for under $5 each. We'll also give kitchen and welding gloves a shot. I have extra elastic to keep glove tops and pant legs securely closed.

Bees: It would've been cheaper to get two packages, or roll the dice with just one, or hope for a swarm. I'm hoping to manage with "soft" treatments, so I didn't really want package Italians, but we'll see how they do. I'm not getting my hopes up. One of the hives will come from a nuc of SKCs . There was a valid reason (in my mind anyway) for going with SKCs, based on my beeyard agreement, which could pose a problem. Splits anyone?

Beeyard: This part isn't going so well. I was hooked up with an awesome suggestion for a place in Haymarket. The person at the property was super enthusiastic when we met in December, but this month it "mysteriously" seems to have fallen through. I have received no response to my email or voicemail from 3 weeks ago letting them know when bees would arrive (per our agreement). This is the second time a yard has fallen through. I won't go into the details of what WAS to be, but this is super disappointing. Not to mention being disabled means you sometimes need something challenging and interesting to look forward to. Too bad I guess. Unfortunately, I personally sold off almost every valuable object I had to make this happen. Our bee and hive purchases were based upon the agreement with this person, so yeah, I'm a bit upset about the whole situation. So now we're in a bind with bees coming and no place to put them. My last option is to put hives in my parents' 1/4 acre backyard 2 hours away, temporarily. I don't think that's a great choice, especially at current gas prices....grrrrrr! Better not to think about that right now. /rant

On a more positive note, we started our out-of-town bee class recently. Yes, we could read free e-books, watch YouTube, and browse Beesource obsessively in lieu of a class, but for us this is money well spent. Not only do you meet other so-to-be beekeepers, there's no substitute for in-person question and answer or being able to see and touch used equipment for an idea of what's normal and what's not. I already knew a lot of basic information, but benefit from locally (regional in our case) relevant answers and information. Our tuition included two reference books and club membership, a major positive in my mind. Even better, since the hives will likely be stashed at my parents', our classmates and instructors will be local. I'm not sure if this is true of all classes in Virginia, but ours counts towards the Master Beekeeper certification should we choose to pursue it in the future.

So all in all, rolling with the positives and making lemonade out of the rest....

:ws:

#73 ·
You could -
1) check out an online video about hiving a swarm
2) buy a new, box, frames and make a lid and bottom board for about 40 bucks and make a veil or buy a tie on wear with a light color longs sleeve shirt
3) Give your phone number to your 911 folks as someone to call should they get a call about an easily accessable swarm
4) Watch this video http://theocba.org/resources/video-a-year-in-the-life-of-an-apiary/
5) Catch a swarm
6) Enjoy keeping your bees for the 1st month or so while they build comb in that box while you save up for a 2nd box or instead do like us and winter in a single.

Year one of bootstrap beekeeping a success!

#74 ·
2) buy a new, box, frames and make a lid and bottom board for about 40 bucks
Do you generally make migratorys or telescoping lids w/ inner cover? I'm also assuming solid bottom boards? Just curious, I'm looking at migratory lids and solid bottoms now that the Arctic weather's moving out.

Otherwise, you're in the ballpark with my game plan. I have nucs/swarm traps and homemade lure ready to go, but I'm not saving my breath...way too much competition.

We're trying to be creative and thrifty as possible - I wouldn't call it bootstrappy. But someday maybe we'll be more self-sufficient.

#76 ·
Some great advice on here....but all you really need to catch a swarm is a box and some gym shorts. :lpf: J/K. You may want to consider signing up on this free online swarm list at www.bees-on-the-net.com you can sign up by state and city or county and tell what you do and don't want, granted I live in a large city but I got over 80 calls last year about bees either swarms or cutouts, and most from this site. Might be worth a try. :D

Oh and about the gym shorts....just my preferred attire! :banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g6FtLeQZik

#78 ·
@NasalSponge/Mike - talk about convenient placement for that swarm! Did you have to wait until evening to move them?

@Joel - would you mind briefly providing details about the type of plywood and construction methods you use for your lids and boxes? It would be a huge help if I could make my last few boxes out of plywood - even if they only last a season or two that would buy me some time.

I've smeared the nucs with lemongrass salve. Maybe I should go back and just try straight drops of the essential oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.