Default Neat Beekeeping Site

All,

I just found this beekeeping site that allows you to post the location of your hives (more or less) and tag it as a beekeeper, aspiring beekeeper, Bee Supplier, Beekeeper offering training, or a hoster (I think this is someone willing to "host" your bees on their land.

It seems to be a new site as it only has a few "pins" in the good Ole US of A.

What do you think? By the way, I put my "pin" in a round about location for safe keeping, in Shreveport LA.

http://www.co-operative.coop/Plan-Be.../Hive-Talking/

Alex
    Last edited by alexcc1; 03-21-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
    Home is where the Air Force sends me.
    Alex

Default Re: Neat Beekeeping Site

Uh where is the link?
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Considering that the map shows a grand total of 10 (ten) beekeeping sites in the USA, I don't think this will be particularly useful for USA beekeepers any time soon.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

The only way for the site to work is to get the word out and get beekeepers to participate. You could try social media like Facebook to get more people involved also. The idea does appeal to me but how do you know it isn't a way for less than honorable people to pilfer your hives? I could see how it could be useful though once more people have gotten involved.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Sounds like they've covered just about all the information you'd want in order to plan a theft. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by justusflynns View Post
    Sounds like they've covered just about all the information you'd want in order to plan a theft. Just sayin'.
    Youbetcha!
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

While some may use this information for less that honerable actions that can be negated with a little OPSEC or INFOSEC by placing your "pin" a considerable distance from your actual hive. For example my site in Shreveport, LA is not the "actual" spot but it the general location is close enough to convey the fact that a beekeeper has bees in the area.

If however, you run a bee supply business or sell honey from a given location accuracy counts. It is up to you, the individual.

As for the number of hives shown, this is a UK based website, just look at the number of hives there.

I added mine, and I am going to give this info the the folks in my beekeeping club. The more folks that participate, the better the site will get.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex
    Alex

Since I generally try to keep the opinion that most people aren't out and out thieves I put myself on the map too. Like I said in my earlier post the more beeks involved the more useful the site will be.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Alex,
    Do you (or did you) have about 3-4 hives located near a tree line about 200 feet off of a path running through a field from Elk Way to Champion Lake? Not sure when google last updated, but you have a real nice paint job on one of them.

Not trying to rain on your parade, I just don't see the benefit. And it only takes one bad apple. Someone recently posted some info about having lots of hives stolen. Sincerely hope it doesn't cause you any problems.

Best wishes,
    Doug

Doug,

No I don't, but I'll try to locate the hives that you are talking about. What was so special about the paint job anyway?

Alex
    Alex

It is special because you can see it in the high resolution Google aerial photos

what fishman said

If you like that one try this one https://hivetracks.com/Default.aspx
    Its for beekeepers you can make you're beeyards private or public.
    Dan