Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stuck Together Hive Bodies

My bees are propolis happy, especially in winter wind. Italian hive tool, kept sharpened, to shoot between the boxes and along the frame's length cutting off burr comb between the boxes. In the spring I expect to have to go from front to back and back to front on all frames, because they willo have glued them good. Although I really like the piano wire idea and might see if a guitar string would work.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Gypsi,

If you do use the piano wire or guitar string idea put a piece of wood on either end like a toggel. You grip on the toggles. That way you can "saw" back and forth with the wire between the supers and cut through the wax/propolis. Be careful that the upper super does not fall off.

Steve

Bear Creek Steve, Ralphs post #4 says that he rounds off the outside edge of the supers. Do bees propalize the outside or inside edge?

Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

sfisher,

The bees will propolize from the inside first and "patch" any major openings from the outside second. The bees objective is to eliminate any light or draft sources along the walls of their hive. An interesting way to observe this is to put a propolis trap on the upper part of the colony with the outer cover blocked up enough to allow some light to enter the hive. The bees will immediately propolize the trap from both sides simultaneously.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    That way you can "saw" back and forth with the wire between the supers and cut through the wax/propolis. Be careful that the upper super does not fall off.

Steve
    This wire is not going to slice into the grain of the wood?
    Maybe some of the problem that people are having is the boxes don't fit well to each other. If there is no space between boxes when they are stacked together' the only propolis that the bees are going to apply is a very small bead at the joint on the inside. This breaks very easily.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping