Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Favorite Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    Why don't you just start burying them behind the church like the rest?
    Because we black-topped all that open space for a parking lot. We call this "progress."

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    You have to know what you are talking about in order to deal with customers....if you can't explain this well enough, then you probably don't understand well enough yourself.
    It's not that I can't explain it, it's that it seems I explain it over and over. Often times people look at me like I'm making it up as I go along, especially when they compare my honey to that jar of Wally World honey that has sat in their cupboard for five years. And last year, I had a batch of buckets that seemed to granulate in the jars as soon as i screwed on the lid. The managers of the stores where I wholesale my honey were losing their patience and their customers balked at buying the honey. So I graciously traded that honey out.

Maybe as I deal with granulated honey on a daily basis, I presume and assume people know all about it.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Why don't you guy's cream it? Last forever.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's not that I can't explain it, it's that it seems I explain it over and over. Often times people look at me like I'm making it up as I go along, especially when they compare my honey to that jar of Wally World honey that has sat in their cupboard for five years. And last year, I had a batch of buckets that seemed to granulate in the jars as soon as i screwed on the lid. The managers of the stores where I wholesale my honey were losing their patience and their customers balked at buying the honey. So I graciously traded that honey out.

Maybe as I deal with granulated honey on a daily basis, I presume and assume people know all about it.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Is it raw honey? Is it labeled "RAW, Unstrained and Unheated". If you aren't selling what peopl;e want then you need to educate them, which takes time and patience. Knowledge wouldn't hurt. Right Dean?

What kind of honey do you make there in MO? How do you handle it between extractor and jar? Maybe you need to heat the honey higher than you currently do to keep it liquid longer.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why don't you guy's cream it? Last forever.
    Generally the public isn't used to creamed honey and doesn't know how to handle it. Most honey sold in the US is liquid.

Yes, education is the key. We make our living selling naturally crystallized raw unheated honey so I never tire of explaining as the more education we offer the more we sell and the more repeat customers we have.

The education pays off - I often overhear customers explaining to their friends as they bring them to the table to purchase. The ones who know the story of why the honey is as it is are very proud to share their knowledge with others. This process can take a while but if you're in it for the long haul, you will see the benefits increasing year after year.

We also wholesale to a number of stores and deliver the honey crystallized. Everyone gets educated when I see them from loading dock folks up through store owners and managers. It's really important that they know what to say to customers when we're not around.

We have no problem selling crytallized honey.

If you know you are offering the best product, no problem sharing why it's the best.

Ramona

You just need to label it properly like this 'stuff'......

Yes, "Honey Flavored Syrup" didn't say enuf.

I got a good laugh at it Mark, especially the bad translation. Just tell your customers the catch phrase..."CAN TRUST EDIBLE!!!!"

Cool Re: Favorite Explanation

I'm new to the retail business. My wife opened a retail store a few months back and wouldn't you know it, if it isn't crystallized it isn't raw. So now we crystallize all of our raw honey before selling it at the store. Her raw honey sells 2-1 to processed honey. I don't even filter the raw. What's a bee wing or leg in the honey, as long as you label it (may contain bee parts) it's all good.

My labels say:

"Small amounts of edible beeswax may be found floating on the surface of the honey, as it is strained, not filtered."

"Should the honey solidify, it can be reliquified by gently heating in a pot of water. Do not overheat, as this can destroy the enzymes, etc. that make raw honey so desirable, although it will still be good to eat."

I think this gives me the opportunity to turn potential questions into selling points immediately.