Hybrid View

Default Favorite Explanation

Okay, a customer comes up to you with a half-jar of honey that's granulated. They shake it in your face and say, "You're honey went bad. It turned to sugar! This is not raw honey."

Outside of shooting them on the spot and burying the body behind the outhouse, what's your favorite, perhaps most effective explanation to placate their sense of outrage?

I'm running out of room behind the outhouse.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Favorite Explanation

Of course it did, you can't shake raw honey like that.

"I'm sorry you have been inconvenienced. How may I help?"

Or, "Crystalization happens to [almost] all honey, sooner or later. Having never been heated, raw honey may crystalize sooner than honey which has been heated and strained. If you will carefully heat this jar of honey you can return it to its liquid state."

Or, "If you would like to exchange the jar you have for this one which has not yet crystalized, I would be glad to do that for you."
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-19-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: edited for greater accuracy
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

All very good answers Mark.

John

Not all honey crystallizes.....if your customer has a 10 year old jar of buckwheat or tupulo at home, and you tell them that all honey will crystallize, they will discover you are not an accurate source of information.
    You have to know what you are talking about in order to deal with customers....if you can't explain this well enough, then you probably don't understand well enough yourself. Of course, if you sell it crystallized, you have no explaining to do later.
    Exchanging a perfectly good jar of honey is a losing game....it's just going to crystalline again.

Deknow

And I will bet that most of them say "I even kept it in the refrigerator". I see why many put re-liquefying instructions on the label.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This gets us back to the whole question of why honey packers choose to over heat and filter honey. It's not because it's cheaper or easier to do its because many consumers equate crystallized honey with spoiled honey and many more may understand its properties but don't want the inconvenience. Unhappy consumers = lots of returns and chargebacks.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    Not all honey crystallizes.....if your customer has a 10 year old jar of buckwheat or tupulo at home, and you tell them that all honey will crystallize, they will discover you are not an accurate source of information.
    You have to know what you are talking about in order to deal with customers....if you can't explain this well enough, then you probably don't understand well enough yourself. Of course, if you sell it crystallized, you have no explaining to do later.
    Exchanging a perfectly good jar of honey is a losing game....it's just going to crystalline again.

Deknow
    Dean,
    you are right. I meant to say, "Gee, I don't know what to say."

Actually Dean is probably correct and I should have said "almost all honey will crystalize". What I recall learning back in thge dark ages, so thing shave probablyu changed, is that of the 300 or so different honeys in the world there were only two which do not crystalize. Buckwheat was not one of them. One could have been tupelo and the other was a honey from out West I believe. But my memory is not as good as it should be.

I would have thought that Customer Satisfaction would be at the top of Dean's list and that offering a jar of honey to a dissatisfied customer would go a long way towards keeping them as a customer and keep them coming back. But, Dean is much more successful a marketer than I so I defer to his expertise.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Deknow
    So what's your answer to the original Post?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

You have to know what you are talking about in order to deal with customers....if you can't explain this well enough, then you probably don't understand well enough yourself.
    It's not that I can't explain it, it's that it seems I explain it over and over. Often times people look at me like I'm making it up as I go along, especially when they compare my honey to that jar of Wally World honey that has sat in their cupboard for five years. And last year, I had a batch of buckets that seemed to granulate in the jars as soon as i screwed on the lid. The managers of the stores where I wholesale my honey were losing their patience and their customers balked at buying the honey. So I graciously traded that honey out.

Maybe as I deal with granulated honey on a daily basis, I presume and assume people know all about it.

Grant
    Jackson, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, a customer comes up to you with a half-jar of honey that's granulated. They shake it in your face and say, "You're honey went bad. It turned to sugar! This is not raw honey."

Outside of shooting them on the spot and burying the body behind the outhouse, what's your favorite, perhaps most effective explanation to placate their sense of outrage?

I'm running out of room behind the outhouse.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Why don't you just start burying them behind the church like the rest?

I deal with your same "general public" on a daily basis and wonder what keeps them from drowning in the rain. But with the local drought this year, maybe that is why we have to deal with them more lately....

I would add a sentence in small letters to the label. Something like this (excuse my ESL): "Note that raw honey may naturally crystallize, which is not affecting the product's quality". Customer should be properly informed.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Kelley sells a label for about a penny;

The labels read "All pure honey granulates - some in a week or so and some not for several years. To liquefy, place the container in very hot water (but not boiling) and let stand until completely liquified."

Thanks for the Heads Up on the label Don. I will order some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    Why don't you just start burying them behind the church like the rest?
    Because we black-topped all that open space for a parking lot. We call this "progress."

Grant
    Jackson, MO