Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

may be dumb? what do bees eat in summer?

11K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  TheCompound 
#1 ·
Field bees as they are out foraging,do they eat nectar or pollen? or can they even eat raw pollen? or do they grab a quick honey smack while in the hive?:)
And also when we feed syrup do they eat it as it is or turn it all to honey first?........ just wondering!

#3 ·
My understanding is that bees consume honey before they leave for foraging. The amount they consume varies with the length of the trip.

Don't know if sugar syrup and raw sugar is turned into honey first, before it is eaten by bees as food.

#4 ·
Bees (all foraging ones) calculate their energy use and consume stores before leaving based on that. It's why sometimes you see some falling short, they literally run out of gas. When looking at flight, it's not that insects get tired and have to rest as they don't build up lactic like we do, they literally run out of energy and have to stop. I imagine they could use nectar as a source in the field before making the final flight home.

#5 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that bees have a "valve" of sorts that allows them to choose to consume nectar that they would otherwise transport back to the hive.

Here is one source:

The honey crop (also called the honey stomach) is where the worker bee stores collected nectar for the trip back to the hive without digesting it. A muscular valve called the proventriculus can be closed, keeping the nectar from passing into the stomach. The crop is expandable, allowing the bee to carry a larger load. Back in the hive, the contents of the crop can be ejected back through the mouth for storage in a honey cell or to feed other bees by trophallaxis.

http://www.aragriculture.org/insects/bees/anatomy_honeybee.htm
The link above is quite interesting, it even has descriptions and illustrations of specific bee parts. :applause:

And a second reference:
http://insects.tamu.edu/continuing_...assword/Internal_Anatomy_of_Honey_Bees_PN.pdf

#14 ·
:lpf:

IBEE Solutions offers integrated enterprise solutions for the web, mobile, social media and transmedia using the latest and emerging technologies. Our wide gamut of integrated services and solutions enable your business to reap maximum benefits from the web, mobile, social media and transmedia. Our in-depth technical expertise and robust development processes ensure that the solutions are secure, scalable, and high-performing.

http://www.ibee.in/
And the company logo ...

#15 ·
You know, I hadn't really thought about it before. So this may help answer a question I was thinking about earlier this summer: Do foraging bees return to the hive without a full payload? They will at the end of the day, but I figured any forager returning mid-day must have no more capacity for foraging. However, it sounds like they would return regardless of payload if they've used up their estimated foraging energy supply. Either that or they may be able to tap in to the nectar supply that they've gathered via their proventriculus. Interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.