Default Bees clustering soon?

I am in Michigan. Our temps are heading downwards pretty quickly. Long term forcast says that we have one more week of daytime temps in the high 50's. After that daytime highs will be high 40's to low 50's with night time lows of mid 30's to low 40's.

When do the bees cluster? When should I put on the quilt box? Actually a 4 inch high box with a screen bottom filled with cedar shavings for moisture control.

Thanks!

Default Re: Bees clustering soon?

The bees will stop flying whenever the temperature gets below around 55 degrees.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Edy.. they stop flying at 55 degress but are they clustering? When do they cluster? And as the weather is changing, do they break cluster and re-cluster as the temps dance around that magical number?

They are already beginning to cluster at night when it cools down. When temps rise to 50+ degrees the cluster will loosen up and they will be taking flights. The colder it gets the tighter the cluster becomes. If you are not planning to do any more feeding or inspections then now is a good time to add the quilt box. Better now then when it's 30 degrees.
    To everything there is a season....

They are already clustering at night. They break and re-cluster as temps change. It also depends on the location and exposure of the hive. A hive in the shade will break cluster later than one in full sun.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Edy.. they stop flying at 55 degress but are they clustering? When do they cluster? And as the weather is changing, do they break cluster and re-cluster as the temps dance around that magical number?
    Yeah, they pretty much only have two modes. Cluster and free flying. If they're not out flying, they're clustering. Only thing that changes is how big and how tightly they cluster.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com