Hybrid View

Default To Laying Worker Nuc, and Back Again

Following some lousy weather a while back that never let up for weeks, ended up with a lot of unmated queens in the nucs, and no brood to put in them. Put in another round of queen cells, but the ones of those that didn't mate, mostly ended up with laying workers, or drone laying queens.

So just for interest, the pics below are of one of those nucs, now.

The first queen cell put in didn't mate. So around 3 weeks later it got another queen cell which also didn't mate. Around 3 weeks after that it had laying workers, I still couldn't spare it brood so around another week later it got another queen cell. (Virgins hatched into a hive normally hold their own against laying workers). This time, the queen has mated and is laying normal eggs, she is shown in the bottom pic. But her brood, just starting to hatch today, is very patchy because she could only squeeze eggs here and there between the randomly scattered drone brood from the laying workers. The top pic, shows the current makeup of the hive, way too many drones. Brood, some of which is the last unhatched drones, is very patchy. There are now so many drones that the hive can hardly function normally. Temperature is not being maintained and larvae are not being fed.

If I left the hive as is, it would likely survive but end up with around a fistful of bees only then slowly build from there. Instead, tomorrow I'm giving it a shake of bees, probably around one combs worth. This will be enough to get things working normally with brood being looked after and temperature maintained. With the laying queen, give it another few weeks and it will be a good nuc.

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: To Laying Worker Nuc, and Back Again

Great pics. Hope your results are better than mine. I lost my queen after killing off a bunch of brood and removing a large section of foundationless comb that was drone cell. I love reading about techniques that are not the norm. Thanks for sharing.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Oh yes should say, a mated and laying queen introduced to a laying worker hive will get killed every time. The hive has to be "conditioned" first by adding some brood, long enough for the brood pheremones to suppress the laying workers.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Question Re: To Laying Worker Nuc, and Back Again

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Oh yes should say, a mated and laying queen introduced to a laying worker hive will get killed every time. The hive has to be "conditioned" first by adding some brood, long enough for the brood pheremones to suppress the laying workers.
    Hi Oldtimer,
    How long does this conditioning take, I put a frame of brood into a dronelaying hive yesterday and have queen cells ready to harvest tomorrow, if I put a protected queencell into the hive tomorrow it should be allowed to hatch okay, is that correct?

Hi Fieldbee, long time no see! Hope all is well.

Yes if you're putting a queen cell in what most people do, if they can, is put some good brood in and the cell at the same time. Mostly works.

The longer period of conditioning is for introducing a mated queen to a LW hive, it has to be conditioned for two weeks, which is a frame of young brood, anothet frame a week later, then laying queem intrduced a week later.

How's the pollination been going for you guys this season?

Ok, NOW that all makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification, OT.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment