Thread: screen types

Question screen types

Ok I am building a TBH and putting on a screen bottom so varroa mites will fall out of the hive and to aid ventilation.
    my instructions-a pdf download from biobees says to use a screen with 8-10 holes per inch. Is that per square inch or by linear inch?
    maybe someone can give me an idea of the type of screen they use and where did you buy it? been all over my little town and can find 1/4 inch hardware wire but really nothing smaller except window screen which would keep those darn mites inthe hive where I dont want them.
    since I am new to beekeeping---exactly HOW small a hole can a bee go through.

Default Re: screen types

I believe you are looking for #8 hardware cloth. I couldn't find it when I put my emergency hive together so I used aluminum window screen but I have heard most people find it at ACE or True Value hardware. My purchased hive has the #8 screen on it but I haven't noticed much difference between the two. I am starting to think the screen just lets the pests in so I am going to try just a solid bottom board with my new hive. I didn't like the entrance holes centered so I put mine on the side near the end at the top. Hope you find what you need!

many thanks, have to try Ace. they would order a roll for me if they dont have it in stock.
    I know what your saying about the side entrance. my issue is the influx of small hive beetles last summer(we had a really warm winter). I am probably going to use a conventional end entrance as I have found the beetle jail entrance trap that stops them from entering the hive in the first place. It attaches over the entrance to the hive and wont work on the slanted sides

If you can't find #8 hardware cloth locally (in quantities less than a whole roll, which may be 100 ft), Brushy Mtn sells it by the foot:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/searchprods.asp

Or if you want more than just a few feet,
    http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Jack...h-6100804.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft