Default Impaired Olfactory Associative Behavior of Honeybee Workers Due to Contamination of I

Impaired Olfactory Associative Behavior of Honeybee Workers Due to Contamination of Imidacloprid in the Larval Stage
    The residue of imidacloprid in the nectar and pollens of the plants is toxic not only to adult honeybees but also the larvae. Although the sublethal dosage of imidacloprid had no effect on the eclosion rate, we found that the olfactory associative behavior of the adult bees was impaired if they had been treated with 0.04 ng/larva imidacloprid in the larval stage. These results demonstrate that a sublethal dosage of imidacloprid given to the larvae affects the subsequent associative ability of the adult honeybee workers. Thus, a low dose of imidacloprid may affect the survival condition of the entire colony, even though the larvae survive to adulthood.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0049472
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Impaired Olfactory Associative Behavior of Honeybee Workers Due to Contamination

A quite interesting read.

Default Re: Impaired Olfactory Associative Behavior of Honeybee Workers Due to Contamination

. . . and yet these neonicotinoid insecticides continue to be increasingly used in our agricultural environment, as well as for residential garden use. I consider myself blessed that I am on the edge of a national park and traditional gardening (vegetable or flower), even turf yards are extremely rare in my entire region - reducing the chance that my bees will be exposed.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Interesting...thanks for posting.

hot off the press ab! thanks for the heads up.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

just read the abstract, not the whole paper. hopefully randy oliver will put a review out on it soon. i'm not versed enough to understand if a study was done well or not.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf