Default How much to pay for used hives

My dad was in a neighbor's barn the other day and saw a few used hive boxes stacked around. He wasn't positive, but it sounded like maybe there were around four or five large hive boxes total. He peeked in one of them and it was full of frames. The boxes were bright white and looked more or less brand new. The neighbor was talking about how he might want to get rid of them (wasn't sure--just thinking about it), and my dad wants to make an offer for them on my behalf. No idea what the going rate is for used equipment in good shape. What would you offer?
    Thanks!

Default Re: How much to pay for used hives

If I weren't in a hurry, I'd just wait. They may come as a gift

I would surely ask where they came form and how they came to be unused.
    Equipment in which the "bees just died" might cost you a great expense, even if they come free.

I might offer to share some of the honey produced when they are put to use in barter for the hives.

If I had reason to be fairly confident that they were free of disease, I'd offer $100-- a bit less than half of their value new, in consideration that I was bearing some risk, and they have vey little value to the man not using them.

But I'd try patience first.

I would surely ask where they came form and how they came to be unused.
    Exactly. There can be a big difference between "new" and "more or less brand new".

You need to know exactly what's there before making an offer. Just boxes with frames, or are there bottom boards and top covers? Any other beekeeping equipment laying around? (If they had bees at one time, there may be smokers, tools, suits, etc. tucked away.)

If the frames were used, I'd probably pitch them rather then re-using old comb of unknown origin.

You might want to think twice before using used equipment that you don't know the history of. The few dollars saved, might not be worth the risk of picking up American Foul Brood.

If you already has bees, don't buy any used equipment. If you'r a beginner, I would recommend to buy one hive with bottom board inner cover and top.

It's winter and the best time to build your own hives. Take all the measurements from the old hive you need to build your own hives and then put the old hive in the oven. This will warm up your house and don't give you any headache.

If you use it for your bees you might get AFB and lots of headache the next season.

Pay $3 or $4 per box and $1 or $2 for tops or bottoms. Toss the used frames, char and scrape the insides. Every beekeeper after a year is using used boxes and American Foulbrood is not very common. You can get AFB even if you start with new stuff but your bonfire costs you much more.