Hybrid View

Default Can you compare the freeman beetle trap and the west hive beetle trap?

I posted this messages into the Diseases and pests section, but did not get any response.

Do you have an opinion about which SHB trap works better: https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3337&grouped=1 or
    http://www.gabees.com/store/product_...roducts_id=366 ?
    I have heard some contradictory comments about their use from some local beekeepers and would like to hear your opinion.
    Unfortunately I have come to realize the hard way that SHB are in Atlanta to stay...
    Thanks a lot,
    Stavros

Default Re: Can you compare the freeman beetle trap and the west hive beetle trap?

The links you gave do not work on my computer.

Default Re: Can you compare the freeman beetle trap and the west hive beetle trap?

Sorry about that. I found out that both traps appear in Kelley's bees: https://kelleybees.com/Products/
    west hive beetle trap 56-S for 16$
    freeman beetle trap 54-T for 35$
    The design is similar, and their placement is underneath the screen bottom board. Have you used either one of them? Do you have an opinion about them? Thank you very much,
    Stavros

I have used both. As to the Freeman beetle trap, I originally bought the trap only and modified some screened bottom boards to accept it. The trap saved a couple hives which were overwhelmed with beetles. The problem with it, was that the traps can crack--I have had that happen to three of them. They say that they have made it stronger. If you buy the whole setup with the bottom board, it would probably be better. Furthermore, they claim to have made the trap stronger.

As to the west hive trap, it is stronger. I have not set it on a solid bottom board but have had it slide under a screened bottom board. The good thing is that it is stronger and if you slide it under a screened board, bees will not get in it. The bad is that the plastic top does get clogged, so you have to clean the lid out as well as the trap itself. If you can avoid buying the whole screened bottom board and can simply modify the ones you have, this one is probably better due to no bee drowning and stronger material.

Thank you for the reply. I could modify my current screen bottom boards to insert and pull the trap under them. If I used the west beetle trap this way, I would take off the black cover since the trap would be under the screen anyway. As far as killing beetles go, have you seen any significant difference for one versus the other?
    Stavros

No; but if you remove the black cover, make sure that the trap fits tight against your bottom board or you will lose a lot of bees. I kept the black cover on to help keep the bees out--I am sure this allowed some beetles to get back out. I started with the Freeman, but now when I have the time, I make my own screened bottom boards and put a cheap aluminum bake pan under/in it. Since I am in Florida, those beetles are a constant problem.