Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fondant

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SwedeBee1970 
#1 ·
Can I put the bee candy on now,or should I wait till later?Thanks

#2 ·
If you don't think they have enough stores for winter, now is fine. It will melt a bit and drip into the hive, especially around the edges, but the bees will just eat that up.

If you think they have enough stores, wait until they need it in early spring -- if the cluster reaches the top of the top box, add the fondant then. Easy enough to check in January. You should be getting pollen and nectar in late Jan or early Feb, depending on your elevation.

Peter

#4 ·
It's warm today, and the bees are not tightly clustered, so they will patrol the hive as normal. Mine are flying, came up to visit me on the back porch while I was roasting coffee, and they did a large orientation flight today.

I suspect your hives are fine for winter. It won't hurt to put a candy board on anyway if you are nervous about losing them, though.

If you open the top of the hive on a 40 degree day and the cluster is up to the top of the top bars, then you get worried, not if there are a few bees walking around or moving honey.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.