Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Indiana new beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by muddymom View Post
    Am in contact with Goldstar.
    I attended a class taught by Christy a year ago. She makes some nice TBH's.

Would also be worth the trip to Morgantown to visit the Graham's store. Good place to get equipment without paying shipping. Roger also makes/sells TBH's.

Also, there's a new TBH book that you may want to add to your Christmas wish list:
    http://www.tbhsbywam.com/

It's already on my list. Great reviews but a little spendy. Need to get milage from house to Grahams so can plan trip. Trying Phils deep floor system on one hive and conventional screen on other. Would be soo nice to set them up and have swarm move in come spring

I just ordered Christy's book and Dean Stiglitz's book on Sunday. Dean's should get here Wednesday, Christy's is not estimated to ship until mid January.

That would be excellent to have a swarm move in. I found Lemongrass Oil at Whole Foods. From what I have read, that and some old brood comb should be enough to at least get them looking at the hive as a potential new home. I have the comb now, but if you can't find any I think Gold Star sells a chunk of it as a starter. No worries about pests, you just freeze the comb for a few days.

Muddymom? You must have boy's. Welcome to the fourm, I may be able to help you out this spring. I have not put any thing in my hive's other than pollen patties and sugar water. Grahams beeworks in Morgantown like indypartridge said. I have a few of their queens they build up good. Good luck. Pat

Boys? LOL No ran sleddogs on wheeled gigs in WA . Lottsa mud.. now just get muddy gardening. Got to get an order going for a package. Decided against a nuc as often get extra suprise of shb or wax moth larvae.Trying to stay with locally produced bees, love to find someone who has a cross of several strains that they have been developing.
    Will be cutting bars soon. What size is good width for a filler strip? Also if using an end entrance sbould I place one of the wider bars first before my bars for brood.
    Been reading posts and notice that comb for honey is deeper.thinking of 1 1/2 " width for the back bars and the 1 3/8" for brood comb bars. Any thoughts?

Sleddogs, wow - would have never guessed that. I was guessing gardening.

We should probably move this discussion to the TBH forum, you will get more input from more people there.

The bars on the hive I bought were wedge shaped and 1 3/8" wide. I modeled the ones I made after them but made half 1 1/4" and half 1 1/2" wide. The original package bees were bigger than the bees are now and I found they were building the comb to one side of the bars to give themselves the space they wanted when I used the 1 1/4" bars in the broodnest. I had to add 1/8" spacer pieces to get them on track. Now that the bees have regressed a bit they are fine on the smaller bars but my point is that the 1 3/8" bars may be easier and more versatile. I was going with Mike Bush's size recommendations when I made mine. Someone said they buy triangular molding and nail/screw/adhere that to their bars as a guide. Sounds a lot easier than what I did (but my bars sure are pretty!).
    Last edited by Colleen O.; 11-28-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Sounds like good advice. I will just start with the 1 3/8 and change out to smaller bars once they regress in size. Finished the hive body today now onto the bars. Thinking of drilling a shallow pilot hole 1 1/2" in from each end then running a dovetail router bit down the centerline. Would secure the wax guideline better than jusr a straight sided cut

Hi muddymom, I just came across this thread searching for something else. Welcome to the most addictive hobby in the world! Beekeeper here in Carmel, Indiana. Mostly frame hives, but have one tbh that I bought and liked working with it a lot. If you haven't doen so already, I would search for the brand new TBH book by Wyatt Mangum. I got mine for Christmas and have been reading on and off in it since. It's a great book for people into keeping bees in TBHs, written by a guy that knows his stuff about them. Lots of good advice from his own experience about everything from how to start as a total beginner to how to safely get them through the winter. I HIGHLY recommend it. Good luck with the TBH and above all have fun with it!

Happy New Year!