Hybrid View

Default Honey pump flow rates

I am getting ready to buy a new honey pump to move 80 degree + honey from my sump to holding tanks. Can anyone share actual personal experience with flow rates for Maxant, Kelley, and Mann Lake pumps?

Default Re: Honey pump flow rates

Y1956vwou have not supplied any part numbers to reference specific pumps you are inquiring about. What kind of pumps are they? Gear? Impellor?, etc...

Crazy Roland

The first thing they teach you at marketing class 101 is "CHARGE ALL THE MARKET WILL BEAR"
    Regards
    Joe

All three are 1" gear pumps. Each company only makes one 1" gear pump model. Kelley is a 6:1 ratio and their rating of 2.5 GPM is probably accurate although I would like to hear from someone who is actually running one. The Kelley is a viable pump for my application but is $1220.00 with a 3/4 HP motor. I can build that pump for $800.00 but those projects always have an unanticipated twist and I am way too busy working bees to get bogged down on a project like that. Its usually hard to beat a man at his own game and their may be $420.00 of headaches in that project. Mann Lake is a 3:1 ratio and their rating of 6-8 GPM is probably accurate. I am worried about cavitation at that flow rate. Again, personal experience would be valuable. The Maxant is the real question mark. They have a 4.3:1 ratio but rate the pump at 1 GPM which I think is way off. Kelley and Mann Lake probably have a good bit of customer feedback to verify their flow rating. Maxant's rating is based upon some calculations done 40 years ago by someone who is no longer with the company and they have relatively little customer feedback to draw on for the pump because they have relatively few commercial beekeeper customers. One GPM is not fast enough for my application. Two GPM's would be fast enough. If their pump will do two GPM's then it would be a good buy. The price is right and Maxant has a reputation for rock solid backup of their products. One can not really rely on the manufacturers ratings and calculations can not take into account all of the real world scenarios. This is why I am looking for feedback from someone actually using these pumps.