Default Any Advice on Moving Hives ?

Got to move 4 hives from garden area to the way backyard, about 200 feet distance. Made some concrete block platforms to put them on and will have to move the hive off to the side before installing. 4 old fashioned scales are going to be moved (first) to the block platforms. I've seen those hive harnesses to move brood boxes, yet seen nothing to move the bases with it. Any ideas ???
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

Default Re: Any Advice on Moving Hives ?

Will you have any help? How many boxes are each hive. I just make sure to screen the entrance well and button the boxes together as best I can to avoid any accidents. I always move my hives at night too and if your bees are flying you will want to force them to re-orient or keep them screened in a few days if it's cold out.

Yes, I'll have help. Just wondering about containing them. Thinking I'll uncork them all at the same time at the end of the move ?? At night ? Don't know how they'd react to my coal-miners cap...

I strapped my hives together (bottom board, deeps, cover) using shipping straps with those little wire buckle tighteners, closed the front with wire, put a board under it and used a dolly to move them after dark. I draped a piece of pool bubble cover over the front to create a very different exit experience in the mornings for the next week in the hopes of making them reorient. Some people pile grass and branches, or plywood at the front for this purpose. I let them out the next morning. Some will go back to their old location; just gather them up at dusk and dump them in the relocated hive again (and again, and again). It eventually worked as fewer and fewer went to the old location.

we have a gadget similar to this

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/935/

To move a hive, we put a strap around it, then just pick it up and walk away, just like shown in the link above. Works well, easy, no fuss.

You certainly don't need to buy any equipment, not even screen, to move only 4 hives within your yard once. I move hives all the time using nothing more than duct tape over the openings and some ratchet straps. If they're one box deep, easy. Strap everything together, tape the openings shut just before dark, lift, move, set down in place and pull the tape off immediately. Done.

If they are too heavy to lift alone, borrow a hand truck and follow the above steps.

Wayne

I don't have any issues when removing the screen from the entrance at night. Just let them settle a few minutes after relocating. Not to say after driving a ways with the hive in the truck and the entrance blocker came undone, I've had bees come out then but not too bad. If they do come out some how, don't try to save them, smash them as quick as you can before they get flighty. They seem aggressive but I've not been stung, they just land on me and start buzzing their wings but they fly erratically as well and once they get in ur hair, you will probably get zapped. If the hives have bees on the porch, just smoke them in, don't try to push them in or brush them, they will start flying around.

I'm going to cork them all up at night and get to it at first daylight, and unplug when all done and moved.