Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default In my opinion...

People use "in my opinion", "IMO", "IMHO" (my personal favorite) a lot on this forum. More so than on other forums I've visited (non-beekeeping).

Anyone else notice that?
    Anyone speculate on why that is?

Default Re: In my opinion...

IMHO, it is to differentiate between opinion and established fact.

Or perhaps it is because beekeepers are an opinionated bunch.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

for me, the 'h' would stand for 'humble'. what make this cool is that it is art and science. the art part lends itself individual expression, or opinion.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    People are afraid of being labeled a know it all when they express their ideas. IMO is not necessary. People who don't agree with the ideas that they read know it is an opinion.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I'll admit I had formed an opinion before I posed this question and it is along the lines of what Acebird posted.

Beekeeping isn't full of many facts since there is a lot we don't know (a lot of 'variables" as people like to say). Maybe it gets used a lot because the majority of the time people are discussing mostly with opinions and personal experience?

IMHO this thread belongs in the Site feedback forum
    Cheers,
    Drew

People use "in my opinion", "IMO", "IMHO" (my personal favorite) a lot on this forum.
    My personal favorite is "IMNSHO".

In My Not So Humble Opinion
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    My personal favorite is "IMNSHO".

In My Not So Humble Opinion
    that one, although not always expressedly applied, seems to crop up from time to time....
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

For me, I'll sometimes offer one of my theories, that's worked, for me. But I know it's a theory not a fact even though I think it's probably correct, so I'll add, in my opinion.

Plus of course as already mentioned you are going to get attacked by somebody else anyway, so stating it as an opinion rather than a fact helps with that. AND, one persons fact may not be anothers. For example it's a "fact" that running a one deep brood box hive is best in one part of my country, But in most other areas it's a "fact" that running a double deep brood nest is best. Put two beekeepers together who don't understand the regional differences in location and you've got guys throwing "facts" at each other, opinions can be more harmony friendly.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

So thats what that meant, lol

People use "in my opinion", "IMO", "IMHO" (my personal favorite) a lot on this forum. More so than on other forums I've visited (non-beekeeping).

Anyone else notice that?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ...snip...Plus of course as already mentioned you are going to get attacked by somebody else anyway, so stating it as an opinion rather than a fact helps with that...snip
    Says it all for me.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Dennis VanEnglesdorp says, "People who say IMO do so because they don't have proof they're correct." MSBA metering, October 2011

Probably why I use it LOL.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I admit to using that quite a bit often because I hear lots of beginning beekeepers (to whom I'm often replying) whose hives have ongoing problems harken back to asking for advice from someone else and they say, "He told me to just do X." New beekeepers often believe that things they are told to do by more experienced beekeepers are stone cold rules and methods that will always 100% work. I want to dispel that belief at the very beginning of whatever I'm stating because that's rarely, if ever, the case.

dumb topic

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    dumb topic
    You forgot to add "IMO"...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post
    IMHO this thread belongs in the Site feedback forum
    Cheers,
    Drew
    Amen, ditto, mho too.

I use imo or imho or afaik (as far as I know) to establish that I don't consider myself the end all and be all of a particular discussion topic. The absence of any of those does not mean the converse is true.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Dennis VanEnglesdorp says, "People who say IMO do so because they don't have proof they're correct." MSBA metering, October 2011
    I like that. I agree. Fits me well.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I had this thought before I even saw this thread. Btu it fits very well.

Beekeeping is obviously in the dark about several things right now. Did you ever lay down in the back seat of a car and then try to guess where you where by the few things you could see flashing by through the window. Or find your way through your house in the complete dark? Even though you are very familiar with the house. suddenly everything seems to be slightly out of place.

It quickly takes on a characteristic of. " I think that chair is right about BAM!. Oh dang".

I think that beekeeping is alto like that right now. There is a whole lot that is in darkness. and many beekeepers are looking for those fleeting glimpses of just where we are and what is going on. It has been goign on for so long now and a clear picture is still not forming. that we are resorting to making up whole stories about just flashes of light.

I noticed that last year when I fed my bees on the 7th of may during a full moon with a temperature of 72 degrees and a forecast of rain that 2% more of my hives survived. IMO I have found the cure for Varroa. This is otherwise known as Paralysis of Analysis. You get so locked up in looking for the problem you become stagnant. The cure is that if you are having serious problems do something different. anything. it doesn't really matter what you change. it can't make you a worse beekeeper. The real danger is the beekeeper that has achieved good enough. and I think this afflicts nearly every beekeeper in existence. It's working good enough. I only average a 30% loss per year. I can live with that so don't mess with it.

And then you have the fertile ground for the In My Opinion discussions. And although they can erupt frequently. I believe the opinion based discussions may be the only way to really finding out the whole picture. because every one adds one more possible piece to the puzzle. If those that care enough to have formed an opinion don't find the answer. Who will? Those that don't give a diddly squat if there is a bee?

So I hope to see the IMO and it appears to me to keep coming in floods. It is the same thing as laying in the back seat. saying, I think we are getting close. I think I recognized that tree branch.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Well you know what they say about opinions.......
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast