Hybrid View

Default Opinion needed - 8 Frame Medium or 5-frame deep Nuc

I am planning on my equipment purchase for the upcoming year, and would like to play around with some nucleus hives. Based on my calculations, an 8-frame medium is very close in size to a 5-frame nucleus hive (deep body).

Any advantage on using one over the other? I am planning to switch to 8-frame, medium hives next year so there is an advantage in having only one size equipment. However, the 8-frame box would be wider, though shallower.

Would love your input.

Thanks!

Default Re: Opinion needed - 8 Frame Medium or 5-frame deep Nuc

This is all psychological, but I find that if I have an 8 frame medium nuc it doesn't stay a nuc for long because I just throw another box on top of it when it starts growing. 5 frame nucs force me to manage a nuc as a nuc, and I like that. Keeps me learning and doesn't let me get lazy about it.

libhart, I'm with you, I like 5 framer's for nucs. I like to be able to see the difference between a full size colony and a nuc when I'm looking at a yard. John

I've been told by some people that a single medium box doesn't allow the bees to cluster well in the winter due to the shallowness. I'm overwintering two medium 2 story 5 frame nucs this year. If you're looking at buying new equipment a single story 8 frame colony is going to cost you about $12 more than a 2 story nuc, and the nuc is only $5 more expensive than a single story deep nuc (prices from Brushy Mountain, and do not include frames/foundation). But of course the 8 frame is easy to turn into a full size colony if you want to (just add boxes, as libhart said), and you're not investing in another type of equipment.

If you're switching to 8 frame medium hives I wouldn't personally use a deep nuc if you can find something else that works. Why produce something that doesn't fit your equipment?

I agree - if I went with the nuc boxes, I would buy the medium nucs from Brushy Mountain (or make them). But I realize that most people used the 5-frame deeps for nucs so I was interested in the comparison. The shallowness of the 8-frame medium is what I was concerned about, although it is offset by being able to combine even more simply.

I remember from his website that Michael Bush uses 8 frame single story medium nucs, and he's in a considerably colder location than either of us as far as the winter cluster goes. I haven't tried them yet myself. http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnucs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bnm1000 View Post
    I agree - if I went with the nuc boxes, I would buy the medium nucs from Brushy Mountain (or make them).
    Medium nucs are very common... For whatever reason, a lot of the Northern Virginia clubs run all mediums, and teach their classes that way resulting in a lot of medium nucs up here. They run out of room pretty quickly and to overwinter need to be two stories. I have only overwintered a few mediums
    karla