Default Water and syrup question.

Last time we purchased syrup, my helper didn't get the right amount of water and most of the totes crystallized. Is there some way to test the syrup BEFORE it crystalizes to see if it is the right percentage of water? That would save a bunch of work.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Water and syrup question.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper_dave View Post
    my helper didn't get the right amount of water and most of the totes crystallized.
    Is that like saying "I have this friend who needs some advice" and the friend is really ......you?

I'm assuming your trying to store Type 55 HFCS. Type 55 has 41% dextrose. Ideally, you need to get the dextrose down to 25% to be sure of not having crystallization. You can only dilute 55 by about 10% without changing the pH enough that it will promote microbial growth (solids need to stay at 71% or higher). You need to dilute the 55 by 40% to stop crystallization. This is one of the advantages of a sucrose/HFCS blend. With at least 40% sucrose you are not at risk of crystallization or fermentation. There are other advantages as well. Otherwise add 10% water and cross your fingers. HFCS is up in price and liquid sucrose is down so a blend is more financially palitable than it use to be.

Good advice here. 2dumb is not "too dumb". If you get that 10% mixed in well your crystallization problems will be minimal and it will pump far better. Price both products, its pretty regional, my recent pricing to the midwest and south has still been way cheaper for 55.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

There are other advantages to the sucrose. The HFCS is all monosaccharides (fructose and dextrose) and can be immediately used by the bees for nutrition without inversion. Inversion is energy consumptive. The sucrose is a binomial molecule (like fructose and dextrose slammed together in a train wreck). The bees invert the sucrose into fructose and dextrose. Although the inversion process is energy inefficient it will stimulate brood raising, comb building, and foraging behaviors if the ambient temperature and length of day are conducive. You can maximize colony buildup by providing enough sucrose (via liquid sucrose or sucrose in foraged nectar - some nectars have more sucrose than others) to reach the "stimulation threshold" and then providing the balance in monomial sugars that are immediately usable such as HFCS. We have been able to document buildup differences of a much as 60% using that feeding strategy.

I have found that it is hard for HFCS to crystallize in the tote when it is in the hive. Put it in the hive, where it belongs, and you will prevent a problem.

Crazy Roland

Said the guy with enough colonies to feed a tanker in a single pass.