Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Default Re: Live and Let Die - Do you really reduce the gene pool?

Yes true.

Just when I first read about the live & let die approach (a few years ago), I was appalled, as in my country hive losses are very low, for me, I wouldn't let any hive die. When I suggested trying to save the hive, and requeen it, I got shot down in flames and some suggested I shouldn't even be on the forum. So that type of thing has kind of shaped my understanding of what people on the TF forum are about.

But wow, how time changes things. Now requeening is the thing to do.

Or maybe now some people have been around a bit longer and learned a bit more.

I'm also beginning to ponder the following of fads. Until recently, small cell was THE way to go. I had my doubts but eventually decided to try it, also applying the (then) favored method of not requeening but just splitting survivors. I had to breed some queen initially for the SC hives, just to get numbers to a poiint where I could start applying the Bond method, as I understood it at that time.

But Whoa! Right about when I'm set up with enough SC hives, suddenly small cell is not nessecarily the way to go now, natural cell is, something I'd already tried and not continued. And walkaway splits is not really the way to go any more, queen breeding is being promoted.

So looks like my viewpoint is right, or wrong, depending which year I held it!

But anyhopw, I'll be staying with my small cell hives, and the bond method in it's pure form, until I get a reasonable conclusion. Can't really keep changing to the latest theory or my results won't be valid.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Well, I'm still in a somewhat "non-committed" stage, when compared to what you are doing/have done with small cell. So musing on philosophically is still easy to do.

I am at least committed to the point that all my bees are clustered up for winter without any treatments...

We shall see...

Adam

Deknow, Just to let you know I did finally view the video of Randy's talk of what he was involved in doing. Simply far to many things I saw in it. that it is not anything I am talking about. I won't take the time to elaborate but wanted to thank you for the sources of further information.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112