Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Commercial Beekeeping

24K views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  TWall 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been switching out some of my older boxes with new boxes. Quite a treat. Our farm has made a deal with some local Amish box makers to barter boxes and wooden frames for breeding bulls. Fantastic deal! I also built a bunch of migratory tops and bottom board pallets that I built myself.
I couldnt bare the thought of painting all this equipment so I decided to hit up another local box maker to dip everything through his paraffin dipping tanks.
I will never paint again, dipping is the way to go!

#42 ·
Hey why not. Give the public what they demand. More convenience, more packaging, more shelf space and more reason for people to complain about how expensive food is.

#43 ·

While I understand Jim's sentiments, I do believe that if BeeMaid (or a competitor) doesn't offer a 100% honey product packed in "convenience" packaging like this, somebody else will offer a substitute product, and that substitute may well be less than 100% honey.

For instance, look at cheese in ready to eat snack packages. Most of what is in the marketplace is not even real cheese, its pasteurized process cheese food product, or worse. I have neighbors that don't buy real cheese because its not presliced! :eek:

The "juice drinks" are some of the worst offenders for attempting to confuse consumers. The drink called "Sunny D" in the US is only 5% actual fruit juice, but you'd never know from the advertising.
http://review.productwiki.com/sunny-delight/

So I say to BeeMaid, I hope you are successful with this product!:D

#46 ·

While I understand Jim's sentiments, I do believe that if BeeMaid (or a competitor) doesn't offer a 100% honey product packed in "convenience" packaging like this, somebody else will offer a substitute product, and that substitute may well be less than 100% honey.
So I say to BeeMaid, I hope you are successful with this product!:D
Dont misunderstand me. I hope it is a huge success, the bigger market for honey the better for everyone in this business. One important point here is that there have always been some health concerns with any type of reusable server in a public place. It's not unusual to see kids or maybe even adults licking them and of course they are usually messy as well. The prepackaged portion may be the way to go for restaurants and coffee shops. I am not convinced that anyone has yet developed the perfect single serving size that opens easily and dispenses neatly.

#44 ·
yes, its all about convenience

the biggest demand is coming from business.

The problem with restaurant self serve honey jar or bottles is that its messy, and with everyone using it, it can get dirty. You know how people use things,.?

This allows people to self serve honey for their coffee at their convenience, just like the little spreadable pockets you can get for your toast in the cafe'. Instead of reaching for the sugar packet, they will grab the honey portion pack!

Very exciting!

and apparently the equivalent environmental impact is a fraction of what plastic tub honey is,

#54 ·
This KFC Honey Sauce packet, at least, 7% honey:

Image linked from: http://www.commonplacecrazy.com/2011/12/not-honey-honey-sauce.html

There was a time when KFC offered actual honey. I remember eating it back in the '70s. I don't know when they moved away from real honey, and have been unsuccessful in finding a photo of the real honey packets, or actual evidence of KFC real honey.

However, here is an amusing thread on the subject from 2005:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?206728-KFC-honey-packets
In particular, post #34 is from a former KFC employee who not only remembers real honey, but also when McD's fries were actually prepared from fresh potatoes at each local restaurant. :eek:

#57 ·
yes, I am with you on that. Areal applicators and the agri protection businesses need to consider us when spraying.

What do you think about imposing a minimum distance between yards? They did not get into that, but it has been the main reason why some of these guys brought up this motion years back, and that was reason why it never was adopted.

Seems to me they are attempting to progressively introduce this idea and when it is adopted by the government and acted on, they may further their intentions to create registered use sites.
Might not be a bad thing, but we have to watch how much control we give up here,

#60 ·
Why does honey need to be pasteurized? Can anyone post me a link showing where a single person became ill from eating "non-Pasteurized " honey?
Much of this is consumer, retailer and government regulation driven.

I suspect, and I am only speculating, that the honey needs to reach temps close to pasteurization anyways to maintain liquid form in the packs.

#59 ·
Minimum distance between yards is a difficult choice for me.

Most of our production yards are what would be considered pollination yards so minimum distance would not be applied in those situations I assume. Would be very inconvenient though if the bees would need to be removed as soon the field was bloomed out, even if another blooming field was only a short distance away.

For the most part, if possible, I prefer fewer regulations. Don't really know if we need a minimum distance rule and I think you are right about this potentially being a first step. That being said, when someone sets up a yard of 100 close to one of my long established spring/fall yards (been the family for 25 years), I start wondering whether a minimum distance rule has merit.

#61 ·
Our local Starbuck's is inside our Kroger grocery store. I noticed a couple of years ago they had small honey packets. It is 100% Grade A US honey. It is dark and didn't have very good flavor. It is a Diamond Crystal Brands,Inc Savanah, GA. The package is opaque so you can't see the honey. I think the above packaging is much nicer and really show off the product.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.