Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Commercial Beekeeping

What are Jumbos?, well I can probably guess, what are their dimentions?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The year before I dipped my bottom board pallets in copper naphthenate but only up to the bottom board. They walk on bare wood. That seems to be working well. I didnt fully dip because of my concern of the bees walking on that stuff
    Lately we have been soaking just the bottom of the sides on our hive bodies (pre assembly) in Copper Nap. That is the area where rot usually first show up. An hour in the tank usually wicks up about an inch depending on how much liquid is in the tank. Seemed like a good compromise as I was concerned about what effect it might have on the bees if the entire box was treated. I think George has the best program though.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Big Grin Re: Commercial Beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I think George has the best program though.
    Gotta watch out for ole George. lol
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 11-18-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

He copied you didn't he?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Right down to the very last dime. GB, good guy.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Right down to the very last dime. GB, good guy.
    Agreed

hey Jim how do you put up with the copper naphthenate stink on your boxes?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Jumbos are 12" deep box. Still run a few for brood boxes. The combs in those boxes are well over 70 years old.

boy, what a silly idea those would of been
    www.stepplerfarms.com

hey Jim how do you put up with the copper naphthenate stink on your boxes?
    We are diluting it 5:1 with mineral spirits, then painting them after assembly. They usually won't see any bees for at least a month. I don't notice the smell at that point nor have I noticed any negative impact to the bees.

Ian thanks for the video of your wintering shed. I have been curious about how this is done. take care GB
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

6 degrees, sitting motionless in cluster, out of the wind, out of the cold, in complete darkness, waiting for sunlight
    www.stepplerfarms.com

6 degrees, sitting motionless in cluster, out of the wind, out of the cold, in complete darkness, waiting for sunlight
    Hi Ian, nice videos, I don't know if you can offer a 'one size fits all' kind of answer here but just wondering what kind of food consumption you expect to see in those colonies over the period of their confinement? I imagine it's probably quite low but it's never worth assuming these things!

edit: another question: do they have a particularly rapid build up/zest for work once removed from their winter quarters or just behave in a 'normal' manner.

The year before I dipped my bottom board pallets in copper naphthenate but only up to the bottom board. They walk on bare wood. That seems to be working well. I didnt fully dip because of my concern of the bees walking on that stuff
    I presume you used the green stuff like Perme-8 (You can get water-based Cop Nap from Lowes which doesn't seem to last very long).

What did you use to dilute the cop nap? Some use mineral spirits, some use diesel.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by Rolande View Post
    Hi Ian, nice videos, I don't know if you can offer a 'one size fits all' kind of answer here but just wondering what kind of food consumption you expect to see

edit: another question: do they have a particularly rapid build up/zest for work once removed from their winter quarters or just behave in a 'normal' manner.
    My understanding is around 40 degrees is optimal for efficiency of food consumption.
    The second part of your question is an easy one. Equate confined bees to a whole bunch of grade school kids that just got out of a long day of school without recess.........or bathroom breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolande View Post
    Hi Ian, nice videos, I don't know if you can offer a 'one size fits all' kind of answer here but just wondering what kind of food consumption you expect to see in those colonies over the period of their confinement? I imagine it's probably quite low but it's never worth assuming these things!

Oh, I dont know, something like 30 or so lbs of food stores. Thats for a single hive being wintered but they winter smaller than some of my doubles I have in there, they might eat a bit more. I do not usually have starvation problems, I feed them right up in the fall.

Yes they do have a rapid build up and zest to work. Inside they will keep very little brood, and will not brood up until they are actually out and into the sunlight. Out door hives usually have a head start in this manner most years but once the indoor hives make their first flight, and start actively foraging, the queen starts up again.
    Jim is right, the first couple of days gets a bit messy!

I had made a short vid of the bees just nicely set out to show other beekeepers how active the yard gets on that first day,
    if your interested you can see it here, kinda corny but shows my bees on their first flight. This vid was taken a couple of years ago, Im still using pallets and straps!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZV3a1rDKw&feature=plcp
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I presume you used the green stuff like Perme-8 (You can get water-based Cop Nap from Lowes which doesn't seem to last very long).

What did you use to dilute the cop nap? Some use mineral spirits, some use diesel.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Grant, I was using the green stuff, stinks, and mixed it three or four times with mineral spirits. I did not see the water based Cop Nap but I did buy some of the Zinc Naphthenate which did not have any smell to it at all. The one thing about the Cop Naphthenate was after the pallets were done, I could tell they were treated. With the Zinc, there was no smell or change in colour, so I mixed in some Cop Nap just so it seemed like I was doing something lol
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Equate confined bees to a whole bunch of grade school kids that just got out of a long day of school without recess.........or bathroom breaks.
    Yes they do have a rapid build up and zest to work. Inside they will keep very little brood, and will not brood up until they are actually out and into the sunlight. Out door hives usually have a head start in this manner most years but once the indoor hives make their first flight, and start actively foraging, the queen starts up again.
    Jim is right, the first couple of days gets a bit messy!

I had made a short vid of the bees just nicely set out to show other beekeepers how active the yard gets on that first day,
    if your interested you can see it here, kinda corny but shows my bees on their first flight. This vid was taken a couple of years ago, Im still using pallets and straps!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZV3a1rDKw&feature=plcp

Hi,

Jim, Nice analogy. I was pretty much thinking of steers being turned out in the spring after being in store over the winter when I asked the question.

Ian, thanks for taking the time to reply and post the video. I pretty much knew what the answer to the second part of the question would be but it's still nice to hear it from the ground. As for the food consumption part of my question; not a clue! A different world to anything we have over here.

Hey Ian, what are the dimensions of your wintering building? Also do you have just one overhead door or several along the wall?

Insulated 30 by 40 Quonset, cement flooring, one overhead door on the one side.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast