Default Timeline for laying of "Winter Bee" eggs

Does anybody know what time of year the bees stop raising "normal" summer bees and starts raising the bees that will overwinter? As a corollary, in late season swarms (September, October), are the bees that compose these swarms likely to be "winter" bees or bees that were raised normally? Any responses or even helpful links to relevant literature would be appreciated!

Default Re: Timeline for laying of "Winter Bee" eggs

OK, here's my thinking-- While watching my observation hive here in mid Missouri , most if not all of the bees hatched in Sept and Oct were in winter mode. We had a lot of warm flying weather but all these new bees just "hung" beneath the bottom frame of brood. They would do their orentiation flights about 2:00 oclock pm. Fun to watch them.
    Charlie

Most likely anything laid after the first of September here is going to end up as a winter bee, emerging starting mid to late month and into October. Brood production is definitely down by late September, in my hives only a couple frames of brood. Might start a couple weeks earlier -- remember, it takes 21 days from egg laying to emerging bee.

Exact timing will be a function of available stores, nectar flow, and rate of change in daylight hours along with temperature swings, so any given location will have it's own "schedule".

In terms of feeding and nutrition, it's advisable to put a protein patty on in September unless you have a large amount of pollen going into the hive, protein is vital for good wintering and protein patties are cheap and easy compared to losing hives. It's common here for us to have a dearth of pollen and nectar through August, so I feed protein in late August/early September. Usually have a good pollen flow with goldenrod, but I want them very well nourished before that time.

Peter

Thank you both. Anyone else have any ideas?