Default mini bear containers

I'm looking for info on the two types of "mini" bear plastic containers. Moreover, what exactly is the difference between them... besides the stated 1oz.

Betterbee carries a 3 oz. flat panel mini bear.
    Brushy & Dadant carry a 2 oz. flat panel mini bear.

All three look identical. Betterbee's bears (under their specs) claim to be 6.63" wide and 5.88" tall. The length is 12.75. Not really 'mini' in my opinion but I'm guessing the website is incorrect for a 3 oz. bear. Brushy's bears are 3" tall and 1-1/2" wide. I can't find info on Dadants.

Has anyone researched these bears and compared their size/quantity? My client would like a 3oz bear... I would like the best price for the product (Dadant).

Thanks for any input.
    Keith

Default Re: mini bear containers

Keith,
    How many containers are you looking for?
    I have a box of probably over 400 8oz K-Resin Panel Bears, clear plastic w/ a panel on the front and the back.
    I am taking the box to the Empire State Honey Producers Meeting in Syracuse and they will be available by the dozen at the Silent Auction. Hope to see you there.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

We were nominated for an award for helping to design the "2 oz." bear, as we pushed for its development (we were the first to carry it). All you see on the market now are the same production. Justin, formerly of Betterbee, claimed that their honey was so low moisture, that it was a "3 oz." bear when filled fully. When filled correctly (just above where the bear head meets the neck finish) with avg. moisture honey, it will truly hold 2.25 oz. of honey. 2 oz. will be just below where the head of the bear meets the neck finish. Most label as 2 oz. and probably give a little extra when filling. You should price it for the higher (2.25 oz); this way, you won't get dinged by an inspector for under-filling the container with product as stated on the label, but will cover your costs.

Feel free to PM or email us if you have other questions on this or any other container product.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

[QUOTE=blueskybeesupply;867408]We were nominated for an award for helping to design the "2 oz." bear, as we pushed for its development (we were the first to carry it). ..............

I ordered the2oz'ers above from Blue Sky, love em! Best prices I've found so far on bottles anywhere. ( Feel free credit my account Bsky!)

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    We were nominated for an award for helping to design the "2 oz." bear, as we pushed for its development (we were the first to carry it). All you see on the market now are the same production. Justin, formerly of Betterbee, claimed that their honey was so low moisture, that it was a "3 oz." bear when filled fully. When filled correctly (just above where the bear head meets the neck finish) with avg. moisture honey, it will truly hold 2.25 oz. of honey. 2 oz. will be just below where the head of the bear meets the neck finish. Most label as 2 oz. and probably give a little extra when filling. You should price it for the higher (2.25 oz); this way, you won't get dinged by an inspector for under-filling the container with product as stated on the label, but will cover your costs.

Feel free to PM or email us if you have other questions on this or any other container product.
    Do you use a fliptop lid on your Bears? I don't see much point in that since you can't squeeze them. That's the design flaw I see in a K-Resin Panel Bear of just about any size, but especially the smaller ones. But, maybe you aren't supposed to get the honey out of them, being mostly for decoration? Not really a dis, by the way.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I have people buy them for gift basket, stockings, or novelties for friends. Ladies like to stick them in their purse for tea. Kids will open them and drink them on the spot. I don't worry about making a lot of money on them as people often come back for larger quantities after trying them.

The little bears get attention and sold well for me. The problem that I see is getting the honey out.

For someone going to farmers markets or fairs I suspect they would be good sellers. I thought they would be good to bundle with different honey's and sell.

Tom

These are good points. We have wondered about the difference ourselves here at Betterbee. This discusion has prompted Chris to ask me to look into it. ( He would have himself but he is out at the SNEBA conference). I haven't seen everyone's bottles but suspect they are all very similar. To help answer the question I put them to the test this morning. The one we have measures 3" tall X 1 3/4" shoulder to shoulder X 1 3/8" belly to back as best I could measure. I used some honey we have here in the lunch room to fill it. This honey measured 13.7% moisture with an Atago electronic digital moisture tester. I tared the bottle so all of the weights given are NET weights. Filled to just into the neck of the bottle where I suspect most of us would fill it weighed 2.40 ounces. Filled to the brim where none of us would fill (but just incase you were wondering) it held 2.52 ounces by weight. I filled it to the brim with water also because I know Chris will ask me about that too! That weighed 1.76 ounces. I think Bluesky has it about right. Label it as 2 ounces and you are sure to have at least that but know you are actually providing at least 2.25 ounces of product so price it accordingly. Then again the real cost to these darn things is filling them so don't forget that if it is your first order for 500! I hope this helps. We will have a new catalog out with the new year and will relabel this bear to be consistent with everyone else so people will be better able to understand the product. The change should be up on the web site soon. joe@betterbee.com if there is anything I can help with.

Thanks for the help. They're shooting for around 125 bears but I have to get them to agree to the 2oz size first... not that it should be a problem. They originally asked for 3oz (not sure if they were browsing the Betterbee site or if they just guessed at the size). Once I know I can get the order ready to go. Fortunately I have 9 months to plan.