Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: is this a good idea or not?

The storm window only covers the front (south side) of the 2 deeps, I still have the open enterance below and on top I have a shallow with a quilt filled with cedar chips and a top enterance . I had moisture on the outer cover and it dripped onto the cedar chips but only about 1/4 in.deep ,

but since I shimed the outer cover and put styrofoam ontop and so far no moisture at all.

that is my big concern if it may get to warm, but this is Wisconsin and it gets cool

"Wisconsin.....get's cool"..... If that isn't the understatement of the year.

The chart is per pound of bees. If you are too warm and you may be with the glass, there is going to be early brood and more brood. Will be a large population and extra honey consumed. Don't want too much brood as bees spread out to protect it all and a cold snap can then cause serious losses.

You will need to monitor food reserves and if it works out you'll have a hive with early population build up and likely lots of honey.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    beekeepers add all of this extra insulating stuff on the outside of the hive when it is not necessary
    As is so often the case in beekeeping, whether or not its necessary is not really the issue IMHO. If something is helpful, and the beekeeper is willing to do it, then the beekeeper should do it. My opinion is that insulating is helpful, and I'm willing, so I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    A "storm window" falls a little short of being a greenhouse in my opinion...
    Well then there is no green house effect.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping