Hybrid View

Default is this a good idea or not?

I wraped my hives with black felt(tarpaper) then styrofoam on 3 sides on the so. I built a 2 in frame and put a storm window over it, lets sun in and cold and wind off. any harm? Today 11-14-12 it was near 50 degrees and about 100 bees out, on another note , I watched for about 15 min and saw 3 bees come in with pollen and at least 4 drones

Default Re: is this a good idea or not?

Sounds good to me. I did all 6 sides in 2" board insulation and wrapped in black plastic.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Will the bees use less honey stores, if the hive is kept warmer?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

No they will use more stores because they will be more active and there for eat more. With in reason, cold doesn't kill, moisture does. So insulating the top to keep it from being a place for condensation to start will give you the most mileage.

I disagree. "Warmer", is not specific enough to reach that conclusion. In Canada B's are wintered indoors, they are kept, "Warmer". From my reading it seems that mid 40's is a temp where B's will cluster naturally, but not have to work to hard to survive. My observations of nests in trees leads me to conclude that you cannot over insulate.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post
    I disagree. "Warmer", is not specific enough to reach that conclusion. My observations of nests in trees leads me to conclude that you cannot over insulate.
    Cheers,
    Drew
    I have never seen a tree insulated with tarpaper, styfrofoam, or a storm window. Bees in the wild are not protected from the elements. Wesbee, My concern with this idea is that you may have them so protected and "warm" form the actual outside temperature that it is creating an inside problem. As pointed out by rweakley, if you do not have anything at the top to collect moisture, or disperse it to the sides of the hive bodies (i.e insulated top cover), I would think this is a bad idea.