Thread: Winter nucs ???

Default Winter nucs ???

I noticed about 8 of my double story nucs only have a 2-3 frame cluster. Is that enough in Ohio? Should i combine them on the next warm day?

Default Re: Winter nucs ???

What temperature was it when you saw them clustered on 2-3 frames, are they deep frames? Are they double high 4 or 5 frame nucs? John

Beemaniac, 8 out of how many? My thoughts on this are that the cluster is probably appropriate given the size and configuration of the wintering unit. I would be inclined to leave them alone and see what they do. Like all who will read this thread I wait for the words of the overwintering master. Are you there MP? WWMPD?

double deep 5 frame nucs. bees were in the lower boxes. plenty of stores. It just didnt seem like many bees. 45 degrees. i just peaked in so i wouldnt disturb them

Indoor overwintering nucs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrqG4DHPKE

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew are those your nucs?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Beemaniac, 8 out of how many? My thoughts on this are that the cluster is probably appropriate given the size and configuration of the wintering unit. I would be inclined to leave them alone and see what they do. Like all who will read this thread I wait for the words of the overwintering master. Are you there MP? WWMPD?
    I would also leave them alone. I see many like this...3 frames of bees in the bottom box and honey above with hardly a bee.

WWMPD??

WWMPD - as in What Would Michael Palmer Do?

I'm glad MP answered, because I would have been inclined to say that 2-3 frames of bees was a little shy of ideal, but who am I.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    WWMPD - as in What Would Michael Palmer Do?
    I'll have to remember this when I am troubled about wintering nucs.

John

Not mine, found that doing research in attempt to save a couple small 1st yr.colonies that were crushed by SHB this season. I brought mine in yesterday, am very curious to see if I can nurse them through the winter.
    Of course there are many naysayers, but I try to remember that there was a time when all the experts knew it was a scientific fact that the earth was flat, and that no success has ever been achieved without a thousand failures first.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post
    I brought mine in yesterday, am very curious to see if I can nurse them through the winter.
    Of course there are many naysayers, but I try to remember that there was a time when all the experts knew it was a scientific fact that the earth was flat...
    Good luck with your project.

There are a lot of naysayers who have tried it and failed. I guess there have been successes too since this idea is nothing new. Beekeeping literature for a hundred years or more are filled with discussions of wintering indoors. Most success stories I've seen involve keeping the bees at temperatures low enough to keep bees clustered and inactive.

Wayne

The general idea is as you say, keep cold but not to cold. However I did come across a story of beek who claimed to have nucs raise brood and add comb all winter turning colony on verge of collapse into robust thriving one in the spring. My girls are so far gone I had no hope of them making it through so I thought I'd give her a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Drew, this link shows wintering two frame nucs in Manitoba. Somewhere in the info I remember him saying that an outside entrance is key because it keeps the bees in winter mode. Go for it. At least this way you can have an active bee project going through the winter.
    http://www.mbbeekeeping.com/index.ph...d=48&Itemid=59

Drew,

I wish you success on your attempt at indoor wintering, if you can get them through without them being too active that is what you should shoot for. Even if there is only 300 bees and a queen come spring, they can still develop into a strong colony, I know it can happen because it happened to me this last year, that hive became one of my strongest colonies in terms of population and production, no exaggeration.

John

I'm not a pro on wintering NUCS, but you have to think of a NUC as a mini hive. A 2-3 frame cluster in a 5 frame NUC equates to 4-6 frame cluster in a 10 frame box. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Adrian,
    Thankx for that link, very interesting ! And I like the idea of those holes to super, thinking that might work well for TB hive.
    John,
    Thankx for the well wish's, this was a big prime, had them in a huge KTBH w/ big picture window, the whole neighborhood enjoyed watching their progress throughout the summer and I'd hate to lose 'em. Like you say, I'm just hoping to keep that queen going till spring. The hive originally had no oil trap and got crushed by the **** beetles, won't make that mistake again. I probably didn't help matters bringing infested cutouts in all summer. Live and learn.
    Cheers,
    Drew