Hybrid View

Default outbreeding mites and overwintering nucs

I have just read about this method by Mel Disselkoen, I realize its not anything new, its been around many years already, but I was wondering if anyone has put it to the test with their own bees to see what the results were. To me, it sounds like it may work fairly well at outbreeding the mite, but its not a method for everyone depending on your operation. If you are mainly into honey production, your main flow would have to be over by late July-very early August so that you can benefit from using your pre-split colonies to produce a honey crop. After this is when you split the hive up into nucs and either give them a queen, queencell, or let them raise their own queen. Then you have the problem of successfully overwintering the majority of all these nucs, not an easy task with my track record at nuc wintering. I would prefer to get responses back from those that have actually tried his method rather than getting speculation on how you think it would work.

John

Default Re: outbreeding mites and overwintering nucs

John, I have tried it, and then combined the bees for honey production. My bees overwintered well, but honey production was concentrated in Mid-July for me and I felt I lost out on some early honey; At the time I didn't have much drawn comb, and that might have contributed to the lower honey crop. I did enjoy seeing the nucs produce queens and greatly enjoyed the process. However, my lack of experience meant that I missed a few swarms - I didn't expect the new splits to swarm but they did very early which means I think I missed some q-cells (more than one in each nuc). If I was looking to expand this is a system I could employ.
    What really intrigues me is Mel's theory on the timing of the splits. I have 18 nucs in 5 groups and have paid attention to the time that I made them up in an attempt to see if there is a difference in survival rate.
    I am trying to work on a system that incorporates Mel's and MP's methods for overwintering and Roland's method of honey production. I think this has great potential for producing colonies without Chemical mite control, and a decent crop of honey as well.

Adrian,

So you made the splits early rather than later in the summer. I would have to do my splits in late July/early August because the bulk of my honey crop comes between May 1 and mid-July and I depend on that. The timing thing is interesting if it works as he says. I believe he based his opinion on later splits having a better survival rate on Doolittle's experiences. I am most interested in whether or not the bees outbreeding the mites will occur in a high percentage of hives, it seems to me it would based on Mel's theory and I assume his experience with his own bees, or he wouldn't be promoting this method as an option to chemical control. I will be trying it this next season to get my mite loads down, as I am noticing an increase this year in particular, currently I am treatment free and want to stay that way. John

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    I am trying to work on a system that incorporates Mel's and MP's methods for overwintering and Roland's method of honey production. I think this has great potential for producing colonies without Chemical mite control, and a decent crop of honey as well.
    Interested in the methods referred to In this thread - MP and Roland. Can you post the full name or a link so we can look it up? thanks!

Queenie sure MP is Michael Palmer, a regular poster on Beesource. Here are two links to his lecture an hour or so of the best viewing you can spend. http://vimeo.com/23178333
    http://vimeo.com/23234196

Roland is also a regular poster on Beesource - this is a thread I started about my experimentation with his methods.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-be-crazy-but

Adrian, what time of the year was it that you put the empty boxes under the hives in your experiment? I am wondering what months it was when they drew out all that comb, was it spring, summer, fall, or winter?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Maybe I should have put this in the Bee Forum. I can see not many people have tried Mel's method themselves to comment on it, so does anyone have anything to say about how they think it would work at outbreeding the mite?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Queenie sure MP is Michael Palmer, a regular poster on Beesource. Here are two links to his lecture an hour or so of the best viewing you can spend. http://vimeo.com/23178333
    http://vimeo.com/23234196

Roland is also a regular poster on Beesource - this is a thread I started about my experimentation with his methods.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-be-crazy-but
    Thank you! Just watched Michael Palmers lecture... Fascinating and inspiring!

Just to contrast, MP doesn't make early spring splits. Mel's plan relies on it.
    Mel says to make 2 frame splits one week before swarm season. We still get some intermittent chilly days here at that time. I tried a few early splits and witnessed chilled brood being hauled out after a cold snap. I'll wait until night temps are warmer next time.

I make my own parts as well John. Looking for a good styro plan. There would have to be wood strips at the top and bottom and in the frame rests.

Daniel Y, Sounds like you need hive protection in the summer rather than in winter.