Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Missouri Legals on Bees

14K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  crab414 
#1 ·
Okay I have a someone tell me I need permits? Is this the case? I have enough hassle dealing with my poultry stuff and really don't want to add to it.

#3 ·
Not sure about Missouri, but THIS may be the relavent statute. Wher I live in Maryland you do have to register your apiary with the state, but there is no cost and you basically just send away a form and get your certificate and apiary number back in the mail. Inspector can choose to inspect or not, but I think they are busiest dealing with the commercial folks.

Beyond that, you would have to ask at the county or local level if additional permits are required? Some cities and towns, for example, have additional requirements in their codes. But the trend in recent years seems to be towards the removal of such restrictions rather than the addition of them to city codes.

#6 ·
No state permits needed in Missouri to keep bees. Also no permits needed to sell honey directly to customers (farmers markets or from your home or roadside stand). Apiaries do not need to registered with the state either. Permits are required to sell bees outside the state though. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
I looked into my local laws and ordinances plus contacted the Missouri state entomologist who handles apiary inspections. The local laws/ ordinances permit me to keep up to 5 hives. The entomologist told me I only needed an inspection if I was bringing un-inspected bees into the state or planned to take my bees out of the state. I told him I was getting an out of state package of bees and he told me as long as I was getting them from a major producer they would be inspected there prior to shipping and nothing more was required.

#9 ·
When I looked into the MO statues, there was a law in the state books that was rescended in 1995 I believe. I too have pondered this question and local beeks state that there are no inspectors or rules. Local Extension office did not offer any rules or regs regarding bee keeping.

#12 ·
Some counties in Mo do require you to claim each colony on your property tax forms annually. Just as if its a cow, goat, etc...

I never concerned myself when I lived there with number of colonies. I know some cities restrict number of hives, such as KC I think only allows each city lot to have 3 colonies on it. However I run up to 148 colonies in Jackson county and never was bothered by anyone about the bees. I did have to have them inspected when I moved out of state and when I brought my bees to Tx and back.