Thread: Canola

Default Canola

Has anyone placed bees in Canola and would you give me some direction? There are several farms ....about 40 miles away that will plant Canola & I'm interested in placing some hives there. From what I've read, Canola produces an abundance of honey. I've also read that it readily crystallizes.

Would appreciate feedback from those with experience........

Thanks!

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Canola

Talk to the farmers that grow it and see if they spray for bugs during the bloom. Other than that all is good on canola.

....and the honey tastes like blaaaach.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    ....and the honey tastes like blaaaach. Crazy Roland
    That good, huh?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

What color is Canola honey?

Any (besides CR) tasted Canola honey? What's your opinion of the flavor?

Larry

It's almost clear and my customers never complain about the taste.

We place hives here on canola in North Dakota. If the conditions are right canola will keep flowering for an extended period of time however if the weather turns hot the canola will shut down and the flow is over. Canola is a high honey producer. Our canola flows are normally earlier than all the other flows here so it is a great way to get the bees to a natural flow instead of feeding them substitute. As to the quality of the honey it is a lighter honey, as to the taste we normally don't get straight canola honey we have alfafla and sweet clover in the areas too. But make sure you get it out of the super before too long or it will crystalize then you have heavy supers for next year and expensive feed. I had a customer ask this year if our honey was produced by canola because their spouse had a canola allergy... Anybody else have any problems with this?

As said, it crystalizes fast in the frames so you need to extract it within a few weeks. I usually schedule extracting 5-6 weeks from they start flowering.

Also make sure you keep the honey warm after extracting until you strain it and strain it quickly, within days it cannot be strained without excessive heating.