Default Back pain relief?

I hear all about how beeks have bad backs and this last Halloween my back decided to cramp up sending me to the floor in the kneeling position while I fought to stay conscious. I was up and moving the next day but like any cramp I was really sore. We ll this last weekend it stated to bother me again. I understand that there is stretches and other things that people have tried that help them. Would you all post them or PM me with them? This thing has really concerned me. BTW I did nothing other than a couple of days light in sleep. Worked out in the gym before work and the Monday before I was doing squats and lunges but that was days earlier. “Too young to feel this old”
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 11-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Back pain relief?

Lactic acid builds up. Drink 5 to6 bottles of water a day to keep it flushed out.

[QUOTE=minz;866925] I understand that there is stretches and other things that people have tried that help them. Would you all post them or PM me with them? QUOTE]

Using other peoples exercises may not be the best approach. I went to one orthapedic surgeon who gave me a set of exercises, did them faithfully for two years, back got worse and worse, went to a different surgeon who sent me to a physical therapist. tested my muscles etc, gave me a completely different set of exercises. I showed her the set that the previous doc. gave me and she said "don't do those your back will get really bad" boy did I listen to her, besides she also said doing bee work would be good for my back. good luck
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

IMHO, the best book for understanding and dealing with back issues is "no more aching back" by leon root, M.D. It's not a new book, and it seems new copies on amazon approach $100....but used ones are cheap. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Aching...re+aching+back

deknow

Thumbs Up Re: Back pain relief?

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    I understand that there is stretches and other things that people have tried that help them. Would you all post them or PM me with them?

Using other peoples exercises may not be the best approach...snip...
    I've had back problems since 1973. First hospitilization then. Physicians, Osteopaths, Chiropractors....All trumped by one Physical Therapist after 25 years of pain. Get a medical clearance for a good PT and have them prescribe the right stretches and excercise regime for you. HTH
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Well I did the Lburou route: hit the doc and they sent me to a PT (and a back X-Ray). Figured the $20 co-pay was worth the trouble. I got a text asking if I wanted to hunt pheasants in the brakes the following day I asked the therapist what he could do for me. After he got done bending me around he hooked up electrodes and heat to my back for 20 minutes, put on some weird tape. He told me that the electrodes would deaden the nerves and the tape would do a bunch of different good stuff but leave it on two days max. I walked for 4 miles up and down slopes and a 2.5 hr truck ride two ways. I am doing his exercises and am in great shape.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Congratulations minz! Keep up on those exercises. Do them when you first notice a twinge in your back and it might work for years before needing any more intervention. Any followup visits scheduled with PT?
    LeeB

My back always stops hurting when I hit my thumb with a hammer...

For me, it's the beestings. They seem to cause temporary amnesia for back pain.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

the thing that helped my back the most(for two days) was these little blue and white pills the doc perscribed. took one late in the day, middle of winter I was driving down the road with the windows open singing, got home the wife said I walkked around the living room in circules, sat in the middle in the lotus position and started giggleing. Next day we were going deer hunting, my brother said he hadn't seen me walk that fast since I was a kid. the doc took the little pills away from me, even though I said I would only use them in emergencies.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Ohmmmm...

For most people, I don’t think back stretches are risky. Especially if your problem is muscle cramping…which will otherwise lead to more severe problems. For years mine was that way…painful after an hour’s drive or a bit of bee work. Eventually it got bad enough that I was in constant pain. My doc sent me to pt. They did all the electrode/heat stuff but also gave me a generic exercise handout. Once I started those exercises…every am for about twenty minutes the cramping disappeared. I could ride in a car for hours on end without back pain. I could work bees for hours.
    Look into it, is my advice. You’ve got nothing to lose.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    the thing that helped my back the most(for two days) was these little blue and white pills the doc perscribed. took one late in the day, middle of winter I was driving down the road with the windows open singing, got home the wife said I walkked around the living room in circules, sat in the middle in the lotus position and started giggleing. Next day we were going deer hunting, my brother said he hadn't seen me walk that fast since I was a kid. the doc took the little pills away from me, even though I said I would only use them in emergencies.
    Valium is a good muscle relaxer. I asked the doc for ten pills for emergencies. Have used three of them in the last six months. Downside is they have a short shelf life and it takes a larger dose over time to have the same effect if you use them regularly.
    LeeB

Google isometric exercises and when you start you will hurt after a couple of weeks you will notice a difference. Do them 2 times dailey after a while the muscles that are bands around your back will get stronger and you will feel better but you have to stick to it.

I have recently been reading a few of my beekeeper dad's old books from his Charasmatic days. They are blowing me away! Found out that laying-on-of-hands can be done by lay people, too. God wants us to ask. We should ask and immediately give thanks as he is already answering our prayers.

I am reading this book:
    Healing is for Real by Malcolm H. Miner

and this booklet:
    Healing Principles by Fr. Michael Scanlan

I had back issues and made laps to the chiropractor. Then the next chiropractor near refused to treat me. He showed me a few fitness ball exercises. The one I use most is belly down and opposite and alternating arm and leg lifts. Five minutes a night did the trick.

I then joined my sons in tang soo do and forgot about my back for six years. Other parents spent the same six years watching my sons and I earn black belts. I quit that about a year ago and became reintroduced to my back.

I returned to the ball and added some twisting type stretches after the lifts - on the floor with left leg over right, right elbow pushing on left knee with left arm reaching as far as I can to the left. Then the other side. Pop-pop and all is well for me.

Even neck pain can improve by working the lower back. An hour of exercise twice a week can change your life.

Rope, that is funny because I had my last PT session today and he had be doing the ball exercises! I thought they were the goofiest thing I had done (and easy). Shows what I know. I work out at the gym from 6-7 every morning and have been spending a minimum of 10 minutes on back (even if it does feel OK).

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    IMHO, the best book for understanding and dealing with back issues is "no more aching back" by leon root, M.D. It's not a new book, and it seems new copies on amazon approach $100....but used ones are cheap. Highly recommended.

deknow
    I ordered this book from Amazon. Cost, 1 cent, shipping $3.99. I will let you know what I think. I have stretches I do every day but I need something more now that I have hives.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF