Hybrid View

Default Bees on sticky board

Hello,
    This is really a small question to satisfy my curiosity. Since the temps have dropped here on the west coast, I am finding anywhere from 10-40 bees that are dead or dying stuck to my sticky board when I check for the mite drop. What would cause them to go there? Are they likely bees from that hive or would-be robbers? While there may have been 1 or 2 bees on the board during the summer, it was nothing like this. Ant thoughts? I switched from Vaseline to Pam canola oil on the board in the past month... A factor?
    Thanks,
    Q

Default Re: Bees on sticky board

I'M trying to follow this, I have a screen bottom board an below that is my stickey board. How our your bees getting to your stickey board ? Mine can't fit thru the screen,only mites.If my bees could , they would get stuck an die too.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny bee View Post
    I'M trying to follow this, I have a screen bottom board an below that is my stickey board. How our your bees getting to your stickey board ? Mine can't fit thru the screen,only mites.If my bees could , they would get stuck an die too.
    Thanks for replying. No, I don't think that they are getting through the screen. They are going around the back of the hive And crawling into the space where the board is... That's why I'm thinking they are from another hive, trying to get in, or attracted to the canola oil spray...

I think they must be attracted to the canola oil, thats odd.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

My bees regulates the ventilation/temperature by blocking screened bottom by their bodies. But they do it from inside. May be your bees for some reason mixed up and try to do it from outside? My bees are very curious and they would check if anything new on sticky board from time to time. I block access to the sticky board from the front - otherwise bees are on the board. My sticky board has an opening from behind the hive and normally bees do not get to sticky board. But, does not matter what I do - there is always a few poor bees on the board... Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    My bees regulates the ventilation/temperature by blocking screened bottom by their bodies... Sergey
    Not sure if I really understand what you're trying to say here, but the way it reads is physically impossible. No cluster is that big through winter. You should take it as a sign and use solid bottoms if what you say is true.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will consider putting the solid bottom on in case they are cold. I will try blocking their access to the bottom board with a piece of foam or something. The bees keep me wondering every day!
    Q