Hybrid View

Default Bee candy/fondant in frames ?

Has anybody ever tried wiring fondant or candy into frames? Had any success? Im still a beginner but thought it might be easier for the cluster to move horizontally to a frame placed nearby than vertically.

Thanks Bonnie

Default Re: Bee candy/fondant in frames ?

Bonnie,

There have been threads about bee candy being used in frames but I believe the majority of people supply additional sugar overhead.

I have only placed a baker's fondant over inner covers. I prefer leaving the inner covers sealed until the first inspection in early Spring.

You should find plenty of opinions here: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0009670...mes&gsc.page=1
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Hey Bonnie...hope you are well. I just went to HD by you and bought 1x4 and 1/4 hardware cloth and put it over them. Hope you are well. My hives took a beating from the storm.

JIm

Someone on here put candy on plastic foundation and made candy boards that way. I'm not sure how they plugged the corners, unless they had some sort of foundation that didn't have spaces in the corners.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

Thanks All, really want to try this. I think I'm going to put 1/4 inch hardware cloth into a couple medium frame and roll some fondant into them, hoping the hardware cloth will help support and keep it in the frame. My reason for trying this I have two hives that where robbed out badly late in the season, I started feeding them syrup, but have lost two weeks because of Storm Sandy (i'm on a well and had no water for two weeks to make syrup) now it's too cold and these hives are still light. I'm going to pull the robbed out comb and replace it with the fondant frames so the cluster can move up normally through the winter. Wish me well.

good luck....if you make your own candy for the frame, I use an ounce of water per pound of sugar and let it sit out for a day or two and it becomes rock hard. I also add a touch of vinegar to that. The bees love it. I think your idea may just work out! Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim