Default Dog tuned in to bee venom?

A little Yorkie-mix dog came into our lives this spring. He LOVES chasing and eating honeybees...stalking them in flower beds, leaping at them in flight, and chewing them up and spitting out their carcasses in the driveway. I don't know if he's not getting stung (would find that unlikely) or just doesn't notice or care. He doesn't pay any attention to the hive, where he could have a bee buffet if he chose.

That's weird enough.

But the other day, I got stung on the side of my knee. A few minutes later, as I sat on the couch, the dog sprinted right up to me and zeroed in on the sting, licking it obsessively.

Is this dog addicted to bee venom? Anyone with similar experiences? I'm very amused, but at a complete loss for explanations!

Default Re: Dog tuned in to bee venom?

Maybe your dog is self medicating!

Joint Support for Pets Now there’s a simple way to ease painful joints from arthritis and have your beloved dog moving more freely. Joint Support for Pets, the remedy for dog health, is a specially formulated anti-inflammatory pet honey with honeybee stings and added fish oil.
    Joint Support for Pets pet honey is an effective alternative therapy to drugs for dogs and horses with arthritis and joint pain. Just a teaspoon on their food or on a cracker biscuit for big dogs (and a quarter to a half a teaspoon for little ones) works wonders for arthritis. Since word got out about honeybee venom’s anti-inflammatory action many dog and horse owners have used it successfully for pain relief to restore pet health.

http://www.honeybeetherapy.com/products
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Could be that's why his former beekeeping owner let him loose in your yard!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

My dog knows when I have a bobo or when I am ill. He will try to lick the area clean if the exposed injury is bloody or infected. If I have a fever he insists on laying besides me, even ignoring dinner time! I don't feel particularly special though, he does the same thing with my other dog.

I swear, my 16 year old chocolate lab stands in front of the hives until he gets stung. Then he does a hillarious boot scootin boogie away from the hive. EVERY DAY for the last two years. His bee sting therapy? I'd almost swear it is. He is blind and deaf, but healthy for a dog his age. He has issues with his neck some days, arthritus I assume. We ask him if he has a 'heavy head' . Then he goes and gets stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh McDiarmid View Post
    A little Yorkie-mix dog came into our lives this spring. He LOVES chasing and eating honeybees...
    My queensland does the same...but my lab hides every time I but my beesuit on
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

We have 4 dogs. Two are deathly afraid of the bees. They take the long way around the hives and dive for under the bed if we have bees in the house. The other two are different. One the skipperkee mix barks at the bees and prods at them until he gets stung then he backs off for a few minutes. Fritz- the border collie thinks bees are like hot nacho poppers. He roll them around with his furry foot then eats them. He especially likes it when we bring a bunch of frames into the house to extract. The bees that come in must be full of honey because he really loves eating them.

I have a Jack Russell who would kill a rattle snake, but he learned to respect the bees.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

my lab would think nothing of pulling a bumblebee out of the air and swallowing it whole. I saw her doing it twice, the first time was without any issue. The second time she got stung inside her mouth and that was definitely not pleasant for her.

A few years ago, we had a yellow lab that when he was young, ate spiders. Every spider he could find, "granddaddy longlegs", garden spiders, wolf spiders. Every one he could find. Couldn't break him of it. Just thankful he never saw a black widow. I once heard of a horse that died of a black widow bite.
    Dave