Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Oxalic Acid Trickle report

I should have been clearer; When looking at other formulas the term oxalic acid is used loosely;

From the British Beekeepers Association:

dihydrate must not be confused with dehydrate(anhydrous).

dihydrate is a compound with 2 molecules of H2o(water) in crytalisation in our case 71.4% concentration.

dehydrate is a compound with almost all H2O removed so is near to 100% in concentration.

My wood bleach is dihydrate , looked up it's MSDS.

Thumbs Up Re: Oxalic Acid Trickle report

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I should have been clearer; When looking at other formulas the term oxalic acid is used loosely;

From the British Beekeepers Association:

dihydrate must not be confused with dehydrate(anhydrous).

dihydrate is a compound with 2 molecules of H2o(water) in crytalisation in our case 71.4% concentration.

dehydrate is a compound with almost all H2O removed so is near to 100% in concentration.

My wood bleach is dihydrate , looked up it's MSDS.

Yes, multiply by 0.714 to get OA anh.

0.714 x 3.5% OA dih. = 2.5% OA anh.

Johann

Default Re: Oxalic Acid Trickle report

Treated two booming, angry, mite-heavy hives today at 55 degrees - probably our warmest December day.

100 ml distilled water
    100 g sugar
    7.5 g oxalic acid dihydrate (lab grade 99.9% pure)

Both hives had 10 frames of bees in the bottom box and ~7 frames in the top. Both probably had a small amount of brood as well, though I didn't pull frames to check. I applied 5 ml to the center seams and 2-4 ml to seams with fewer bees, for a total of around 75 ml per hive. My defensive hive was quite displeased with being pulled apart in winter. Strong smell of bananas, would have had 30+ stings without veil and gloves.

To me it seems like both of these hives have about twice as many bees as they should going into winter. Maybe it's an Italian thing... Still plenty of stores but will have to watch going into spring.