Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default who influenced you?

i was having one of those reflective moments last night, and gave some consideration to those that have had an influence on me and my beekeeping.

below are those that i would like to thank for the role they are playing in that regard. the list is in alphabetical order, and i equally appreciative to all.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: who influence you?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i was having one of those reflective moments last night, and gave some consideration to those that have had an influence on me and my beekeeping.

below are those that i would like to thank for the role they are playing in that regard. the list is in alphabetical order, and i equally appreciative to all.
    oops, submitted before proofed. title should read 'who has influenced you', can you fix it barry?

here is the list:

beesource members - for great roundtable discussion and lot's of fun
    michael bush - for showing me it is possible to be successful practicing natural husbandry
    randy oliver - for satisfying my left brain need to understand the science of the bee
    michael palmer - for showing me the way to sustaining my apiary
    walt wright - for helping me to understand the season by season dynamics of the colony

many many thanks to all!
    Last edited by squarepeg; 11-12-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added 'has'

i was distracted when i submitted this, but i also wanted to include two friends, local beeks who were there for the 'hands on here's how you do it' part of my learning curve. thanks guys.

Do you mean who influences you now or who has influenced you?

When I started, I was influenced by Dee Lusby primarily. Later on as Michael Bush's body of work grew, he became more influential as well. I quit following Dee after a while, email lists are too much of a pain.

Nowadays, the most influence I get is from people telling me I can't do what I'm doing. They influence me to keep doing it and to keep doing an extreme form of it.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

interesting sol.

i wish i could fix the title of the thread to say 'who has influenced you?'

the kind of influence i mean is, well, you know, the kind that a musician might claim they have had in molding their style.

In that case, it was mostly Dee Lusby. I patterned almost my entire method after hers when I started. I still retain many aspects of it. Lately Michael Bush has influenced me to use plastic frames and move to mediums.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

When I started 10 years ago:
    Books and local beekeepers.
    My dad and grandpa. Neither were beekeepers but they helped me think critically about the varying advice I'd get from multiple sources.

A year or two ago when I got my second wind:
    Being much more proficient at web searching I'd have a topic or question and read what ever my search engine could find, weighing in different opinions and sources.

I also kept a top bar hive. Not because I thought it was "better" but to get influence from a colony kept with less "rules" (frames and foundation).

my great uncle, long since gone. Now that I am into beekeeping, myself: Michael Bush, Jeff Armstrong (jpthebeeman), Walt Wright. -james

Guy Darry Wood
    Peter Lew LeCompte
    Jim Tew
    Eva Crane
    Roger Morse
    Richard Taylor
    Raymond Churchill
    Elwood "Buster" Smith
    Jon E.MacDonald
    Michael Palmer
    The Myers of Granville,NY
    Countless Beekeepers across NY from the Canadian Border and the Champlain Valley to Long Island to Chautaqua County to Niagara Falls and the St. Lawrence Valley.
    Chuck and Karen Kutik
    Numerous people on beesource who have given me a different way of looking at some of the things I do w/ bees.
    Herb and Carlene MacIntyre
    Steve Fisher
    Barry Birkey
    and other people I have met thru beesource like Brian aka Acebird.

The trouble w/ these lists is someone always gets left off and one runs the risk of hurting someone's feelings. I'll wake up at 2:00AM w/ a name I should have remembered to recall.

Tom Seeley
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I still have a lot to learn. As has been mentioned above, I will leave names off.

Ron Cameron, my first mentor.
    Michael Palmer
    Jim Lyon,
    Robert Russell
    Jeff Gabric
    Allen Dick
    Carlton and Bev Simpson
    Howard Frank
    Mark Berninghausen

Tom

Influenced = Grandfather
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

TWall,
    I thought she was asking about positive influences.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    TWall,
    I thought he was asking about positive influences.
    I figured Peg for a she?

Like I said, ...

If I were to include every person who has had some effect on my thinking or doing - then the list would be long, and include a lot of names - many from this forum.

But in terms of people who have had a major and very clear influence on what I'm doing with bees now, and what I'm working toward, then the list is shorter:

• My Grandfather, J. Foster Collins (introduced me to bees as a kid; got me hooked).
    • My father, Bruce Collins (who still has bees and remains a sounding board for ideas and experiences)
    • Michael Palmer (nuc management and wintering nucs).
    • Michael Bush (8 frame boxes, narrow brood frames, top entrances - his apparent interest in simplification/economy).
    • Tom D. Seeley ( through his work on bee behavior).
    • Perry Brandt (local beekeeper with more experience than I, who I can gab with day-to-day and learn from).
    • Joseph Clemens (approach to Queen rearing).
    • David LaFerny (through his synthesis and written account of his use of Joseph Clemens' approach to Queen rearing).

Adam

I guess I'm telling my age here, I had the opportunity to meet Walter T Kelley when I was a teenager visiting his company to buy stuff. He was over 90 then, so there was no real talk of beekeeping, but his genuine thankfulness to have spent his life in beekeeping was overwhelming.
    At the time, I felt like I had met the god of bees. Our 15 minute conversation has stuck with me ever since. We should all be so lucky to feel our life's work was of such personal and public value.

Mr. Kelley was a special man. I recall him telling a friend of mine to get out of his truck because he had to go to the Hospital for his daily visit w/ his wife and my friend wouldn't stop asking him questions. He was an impressive guy.

Why does one have to be "influenced"? Can't a man have an original thought?

I followed in the footsteps of my Grandfather. It is in the family tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The trouble w/ these lists is someone always gets left off and one runs the risk of hurting someone's feelings. I'll wake up at 2:00AM w/ a name I should have remembered to recall.
    Many of those that influenced me, either by personal contact, or through their writings, have passed away. I only wish I could hurt their feelings by forgetting to add them to my list...

Enoch Tompkins
    Charles Mraz
    Ed Hazen
    Brother Adam
    Richard Taylor
    Kirk Webster
    GM Doolittle
    ROB Manley
    Steve Taber
    Roger Morse

Michael,

Richard Taylor's book "The Joys of Beekeeping" taught me not only about bees and beekeeping but how to look at life a little differently than I did before. I met him once at a convention and knew immediately that he was truly a unique character in the history of beekeeping. John