Hybrid View

Default who influenced you?

i was having one of those reflective moments last night, and gave some consideration to those that have had an influence on me and my beekeeping.

below are those that i would like to thank for the role they are playing in that regard. the list is in alphabetical order, and i equally appreciative to all.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: who influence you?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i was having one of those reflective moments last night, and gave some consideration to those that have had an influence on me and my beekeeping.

below are those that i would like to thank for the role they are playing in that regard. the list is in alphabetical order, and i equally appreciative to all.
    oops, submitted before proofed. title should read 'who has influenced you', can you fix it barry?

here is the list:

beesource members - for great roundtable discussion and lot's of fun
    michael bush - for showing me it is possible to be successful practicing natural husbandry
    randy oliver - for satisfying my left brain need to understand the science of the bee
    michael palmer - for showing me the way to sustaining my apiary
    walt wright - for helping me to understand the season by season dynamics of the colony

many many thanks to all!
    Last edited by squarepeg; 11-12-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added 'has'

i was distracted when i submitted this, but i also wanted to include two friends, local beeks who were there for the 'hands on here's how you do it' part of my learning curve. thanks guys.

Do you mean who influences you now or who has influenced you?

When I started, I was influenced by Dee Lusby primarily. Later on as Michael Bush's body of work grew, he became more influential as well. I quit following Dee after a while, email lists are too much of a pain.

Nowadays, the most influence I get is from people telling me I can't do what I'm doing. They influence me to keep doing it and to keep doing an extreme form of it.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

interesting sol.

i wish i could fix the title of the thread to say 'who has influenced you?'

the kind of influence i mean is, well, you know, the kind that a musician might claim they have had in molding their style.

In that case, it was mostly Dee Lusby. I patterned almost my entire method after hers when I started. I still retain many aspects of it. Lately Michael Bush has influenced me to use plastic frames and move to mediums.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

• My grandmother, the first beek I ever knew. Watching her work on her hives (and watching the bees at work) instilled in me a lifelong fascination with bees.
    • My neighbor, who gave me the final push I needed to get into it for myself, and who has been a willing mentor.
    • An awful lot of you here, who have answered my questions and guided me with patience and wisdom. I believe I literally owe the life of my hive (and my sanity) to the good people of this board.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

My dad Charlie and my uncle Archie from whom I learned hard work.....really hard work and my son Jeff that just has a natural aptitude for bees. Most everything new thing we try is the result of a brainstorming session between us. Sometimes it dosent work but usually it does. Fwiw my time favorite beekeeping person I ever knew was Irwin Glew who managed the Sioux City Dadant branch for many years.