Default Syrup during warm snaps?

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before - but I'm not even sure what to search for it under... So I'll ask again!

Next week is forecast several days of low 40s weather - good time to inspect winter's damage etc. I know I'll be feeding more during that time too and have started sugar candy feedings a while ago. But I believe that the bees will use/store any syrup I can get into the hive better than the candy tho, so I wonder if it wouldn't be better to whip up some syrup and flop on a top feeder during this warm snap and return to candy feeding later.

I don't believe I can switch to full time Syrup feedings yet as my hives are at 7100' elevation and at Wyoming northern latitude we're going to see lots more nasty weather. That's to be expected - after all March is known for going out like a Lion if it came in like a Lamb, right?

So the question is: Are Syrup feedings an all right temporary step when the weather will almost certainly return to mid winter conditions?

Also, assuming it is - does the style of feeder have any great bearing if feeding syrup mid-winter during a warm snap?

Default Re: Syrup during warm snaps?

Hey yorec, use caution. The last thing you want is a jar exploding over your bees. Also if the vacuum is somehow broken on an upside down feeder because of freezing you may even drench the bees. If you think that nighttime temps will be above freezing you can feed syrup through the top but I would be hesitant until I am sure I have consistent above freezing temps. If you have a drop in frame feeder that may be a better route as the heat from the bees will keep the feeder "warm". I say that very loosely. If you go the top route, a feeder bag with slits will reduce the chance of loss vacuum from an upside down feeder. Wyoming, above 7000'. Eh your call. If you are feeding dry sugar and the bees are taking it leave it alone.

Default Re: Syrup during warm snaps?

Thanks - and I agree.

I found this thread which says much of the same: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=warm+snap

I hadn't considered the energy they must use to dry a too wet syrup...

On my side tho - I use a super style top feeder - no chance of losing vacuum, it doesn't use one. But from what I've reading so far I must agree - if they're taking sugar don't change it. Syrup is an extra risk so don't think I want to go there.