Default clustering in the rain tonight

Today I removed the hive top feeder and I was immediately attacked by the bees. I quickly closed up the hive and set the feeder next to the hive, there were bees inside it. The bees stayed inside the feeder quite awhile (couple hours)so I smacked it trying to get them out so they would go back into the hive and I could put the feeder away. They are now clustered just under the front of the hive and a spot on the ground and there are still quite afew left in the feeder. It's around 40 degrees, raining and dark.

Why would they stay outside clustering? At first I thought maybe the queen was on the bottom of the feeder when I smacked it, but there are 2 clusters on the ground and still some in the feeder. Just before dusk I went and checked on them, they were clustered so I blew on them and a few came at me, but it didnt break up the cluster.

IMAG0890.jpg

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks, Ron

Default Re: clustering in the rain tonight

They were disorientated by the experience and it is too cold for them to do much other than cluster.

Default Re: clustering in the rain tonight

They were out foraging when I removed the feeder. It must have been right on the cusp of temperature for them to be working in.
    I just went out and found the clusters still in same spot but dead. Dang I feel stupid! I can see the live bees guarding the entrance so luckily I didn't kill the whole hive. It was right around 50 degrees when I opened the hive.
    Another lesson learned.