Default Manuka Honey Wars

Just thought I'd link this to give you guys a bit of overseas content.

It's about the trouble big money has brought to our New Zealand manuka honey industry.

The link is streaming TV so you may have to sit through an advertisement before the beekeeping segment starts, sorry about that.

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/monday-no...-5211554/video
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Manuka Honey Wars

Oldtimer

Interesting video thanks for posting. I'm curious as to what the 'activity rating" on the label means. 10+, 5+ etc. ??
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Was this the incident from a few months ago or was that a different one? I recall some hives ( maybe it was Australia) that got sprayed as well.

It saddens me to hear this. I hope your hives are safe OldTimer.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Yes mine are not in manuka country so no worries. I'm close to it though so there is risk of them being stolen. When I was at a yard I got approached by a real shady looking character who arrived in a truck and asked straight up if I would sell the bees. I said no but he wasn't keen to accept that & hung around for another 10 minutes or so. It occurred to me that there was really nothing to stop him coming another time & loading up the truck so I've installed cameras.

JR this incident happened maybe a week ago, although there have been similar and even worse ones, this one just got publicity.

RiskyBiz, the activity rating is a measurement of the antibiotic activity of the honey. The honey is diluted with water then smeared across a petri dish in various concentrations to find out at what concentration it will still kill bacteria. Depending on how dilute it has to be it is then given a number to grade it as to bacterial killing ability
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).