Default Nuc Spacing & Mating Flights

Ive got a few nucs with virgins hatching today, have several days around 70 degrees coming next week just in time for mating flights. Some are set up 3 wide, back to back on a pallet but I set one row of 7 up in a line to make insulating easier. Don't know if it helps with orientation or not but I try and make them appear different to help but is this too close or do the queens rely on nasonov too?

image.jpg

Default Re: Nuc Spacing & Mating Flights

i don't have a lot of experience under my belt thershey, but last year i had 10 nucs in a row like that, and like you did some things to make each one 'visually' a little different. i was 10/10 on those for getting mated queens.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks squarepeg, sounds good.

I often have mine lined up like your picture shows and they do fine. Like SP says, if conditions are good, 100% return is not uncommon.

On another note, if your weather is mild enough for mating flights why do you still have insulation on?

Quote Originally Posted by rkereid View Post
    if conditions are good, 100% return is not uncommon.
    Good conditions must be uncommon then!

i had 4 of 6 get mated in 2013, and 11 of 12 get mated in 2014. i'm not sure i've ever heard of anyone consistently getting 100%. even post swarm and supersedure ends up in about 10% failure here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Good conditions must be uncommon then!
    I have more problems when the weather is still cooler. Once it is settled and warm, in May around here, I am amazed at how successful the virgins can be. Only reason I mentioned it is I have had several small batches of 10 to 15 with 100% success. Other than the weather I think it's just luck.

Only reason I mentioned it is I have had several small batches of 10 to 15 with 100% success. Other than the weather I think it's just luck.
    that's pretty cool rk. mockingbirds and dragonflies make it tough here.

I often have mine lined up like your picture shows and they do fine. Like SP says, if conditions are good, 100% return is not uncommon.

On another note, if your weather is mild enough for mating flights why do you still have insulation on?
    Why insulation... Small boxes, I figure it doesn't hurt to give them some assistance to reduce the stress load. Nights are still mid 40s days are averaging mid 60s but we have a string of 70-74 days coming this week just in time for mating flights.

Not a lot of color or object variation in that set up!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Not a lot of color or object variation in that set up!!.
    Good point, thanks. The tops are done up to, I'll be sure to pull the insulation board off when our couple rain days passes. That might give them a littl more to lock in on.