Thread: FGMO Fogging

Question FGMO Fogging

I've heard of good results from using mineral oil in a propane fogger for the control of mites. The Fat Bee Man swears by it. And it makes sense to me. Since the oil coats everything in the hive, I'm curious how it affects the honey. I have visions of a thin film of oil floating on top of any honey that is extracted. What have been your experiences? And opinions. Have you found it to be effective?

Another question: If one uses FGMO, are you no longer treatment free? My thought is in the affirmative - no longer.

Default Re: FGMO Fogging

Dr. Rodriguez had a lot of testing done and concluded that it did not show up in the honey. But then it's Food Grade and generally accepted as safe. My bigger concern is the long term effect on the wax. I assume it would get much softer.

I found that constant use was fairly effective. It was not effective enough to catch up if the mites were already out of hand.

It is, by definition a treatment, so of course you would not be "treatment free". It will not contaminate your colony other than making the wax soft. It will not leave residue of pesticides in the wax.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The Swiss government is a lot more pro active in bee research than we are and they found that FGMO in a thermal application was appox 90% effective in reducing the mite population. It needed to be applied in small doses about 3 to 4 weeks apart rather than a heavy application twice a year.
    You can read it yourself at <http://www.agroscope.admin.ch/aktuell/index.html?lang=en>
    Regards
    Joe

Thanks for the information, Joe.

Unfortunately, that link didn't take me to the article. Only to the general site. Have that specific link?

I tried the link and its not in english.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

We use it with Thyomol, great knock down, good control used once a month. Still use Formic as well. I gotta say the fogger is a blast, so to speak! It allows treatment during the season for a knockdown.

The title of the article is "Use of Essential Oils for the Control of Varroa jacobsoni"
    The main paragraph is this
    In extensive screening tests, many oils show significant acaricidal activity. Some oils are repellent
    to V. jacobsoni, others are attractive, and some cause mite mortality. However, of more than 150
    essential oils and components of oils tested, only very few have proven effective when applied in
    hives in field trials. This is most probably due to the fact, that the screenings tests used were
    incapable of predicting the acaricidal effect under field conditions. Difficulty in obtaining
    standardised essential oils also affects treatment predictability. Only a combination of wintergreen
    oil and thermal treatment, an aerosol treatment of a thyme-sage oil mixture, and the passive
    evaporation of thymol, oregano oil and marjoram oil in combination with diluted formic acid have
    been used successfully for mite control.
    For different reasons, however, none of these treatments
    have been widely adopted by beekeepers, with the exception of thymol. Indeed, thymol and thymol
    blends are widely used to control V. jacobsoni in Europe and in most cases their varroacidal
    efficacy is greater than 90 % (Tab. 1 and 2). Different thymol containing products are available on
    the market.
    I could not find the article either in the short time I have, PM me if you wantme to send you a PDF of the whole thing.
    Joe

Has ANYONE heard anything from Pedro recently? Would like to know what he's up to.
    Regards, Barry

Did final inspection of season and fogged last weekend. Brought one indoors to winter today and I have an oil tray peppered w/ Varroa. Thankx Fat B Man.
    Cheers,
    Drew