Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Canadian Bee Suppliers

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Aussie 
#1 ·
I'm looking to purchase some Buckfast bees for next year, and I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good supplier. I heard the ones from Canada breed very gentle bees. Is this true? If so, who supplies them?

Thanks.

#6 ·
Rules are changing all the time, but, I believe there are regulatory issues that prevent shipping packages southbound, and I know we cant ship nucs, ie bees on comb south (unless it's changed yet again). Even if the rules allow it, something to keep in mind, packages and nucs in Canada, go for a very significantly higher premium than in the usa, due to the import regulations in canada. We dont have access to the cheap packages from southern usa. In our area here on vancouver island, packages typically arrive from australia in the spring, and price in the range of $200+ in single quantities, some discount for volumes, (we paid 250 a year and a half ago) for a 4 pound package, with two queens.

To get started with canadian sourced buckfast down south, it would be much less expensive to buy cheap southern packages (by our standards, anything under $150 is a cheap package), and introduce a buckfast queen from ferguson. Wait 6 weeks and you have an all buckfast hive.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.