Thread: Just Curious

Default Just Curious

Where did the name "Mountain Camp" originate and how is it fed?

Default Re: Just Curious

I believe it was described by someone with the forum name of "mountain camp". Basically it's just pouring dry sugar on top of a couple sheets of newspaper on top of the top bars in the top box. Helps to spray some water on it to cake it so the bees don't just carry it out as trash.

You can also remove a couple frames and just dump the dry sugar in the space, but only if you have solid bottom board!

It is strictly emergency feed to keep a hive going until they can forage, one should NOT be feeding dry sugar in the middle of the winter on a regular basis, it's far better to feed them up to strength in the fall.

Peter

Default Re: Just Curious

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    You can also remove a couple frames and just dump the dry sugar in the space, but only if you have solid bottom board!
    Peter
    You can do that, but it isn't the Mountain Camp Method and it's a waste of sugar.

For a number of year, when I took hives to SC for the Winter, from NY, I would put a feeder rim on top of an open hive lay in one or two sheets of newspaper and pour 5 lbs of sugar. Never wet anything. Bees resperation provided the needed moisture to dampen the paper and the sugar. That 5 lbs of sugar gave the colony approzimately another month's food. I consider it extender, not emergency. No more emergency than feeding corn syrup and it's right where the bees can get to it, above them.

This method of feeding dry sugar has been around for ages and was always refered to as dry sugar feeding. It was only here on beesource about 4 years ago that we started refering to it as The MountainCamp Method. Catchy.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org