Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

http://www.beesource.com/point-of-vi...nuary-10-2013/
    >>2013 Bee Supply
    As we do every January, we will be making last-minute adjustments in our bee supply, cutting and filling as winter bee losses come into focus. Our + or – 5% on the number of bee colonies you contract with as allows us to book +5%, then cut back to -5% should conditions warrant.

Current Bee Problems
    Getting strong bee colonies for almonds (8 to 10 frames of bees) will be a much tougher task for the 2013 season than it has been in recent years, for two main reasons. 1. loss of the most effective chemical for varroa mite control. 2. poor bee forage last year due to drought conditions in most bee areas.

The varroa mite has been the scourge of beekeeping since it was first found in the U.S. in 1987. Varroa mites not only kill or weaken honey bees directly, but also spread deadly viruses from bee to bee, from colony to colony and from apiary to apiary. The most effective varroa control chemical became unavailable in 2012 because the overseas manufacturer stopped production. Beekeepers that stockpiled the material in 2011 got good varroa control in 2012, but some beekeepers had to use alternate materials and found their colonies weakened to the point where many perished or were too far gone to nurse back to almond pollinating strength. There is a crying need for effective varroa-control products. The difficulty in controlling this pernicious pest with approved products is causing some beekeepers to improvise their own varroa treatments.

Drought conditions have left bee colonies in many areas in a weakened nutritional state, making them more susceptible to varroa mites and its associated viruses. This one-two punch from varroa and drought will result in above average winter losses of bees and overall weaker bee colony strength for almonds. Although it will be tougher this year, we are confident that we will meet our commitment to supply you with 8+ frame bee colonies. Some beekeepers are predicting $200/colony bee rental prices for almonds for the few growers that haven’t yet contracted for bees or for growers whose beekeepers jumped ship because they didn’t feel they were getting a fair price. We are confident that our beekeepers will stick with us even though some will lose money this year due to the unforeseen problems outlined above.<<

I think that about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ahh, heck yeah Jimmy, skies the limit. lol I got to have a talk with Barry, the Icon popcorn & guy digging his own pit are great .... But we need to add a flock of turkeys as well.
    I am thinking animated marching Lemmings might be useful as well and why not someone getting thrown under a bus? The possibilities are endless. Come on Barry puhleeeese?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

How does those pollination contracts work when brokering to growers?

When you sign up your commitment, and those bee that are sent dont meet the growers specs, is the beekeeper liable for covering the shortfall?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    why not someone getting thrown under a bus?
    Ya might want to leave that one off for the time being....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Cool Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    and a smiley face with dollar sign eyes
    Ian, I would like that one. Of course I like and use the guy digging a lot more then I should!

he he
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Here's a start ...

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

In terms of RR resistance, most of the weeds have developed a novel pathway, has nothing to do with outcrossing, so you can't compare the two pathways in terms of Amino Acid synthesis, as I do not know how weeds are dealing witht he glyphosate. That being said, reproductive tolerance (typically associated to male sterility) to Round-up is something to look at. Commercial lines are fine in this regard but it wouldn't surprise me if pollen quality or quantity is reduced, just not to any level that affects yield at all. Could this mean problems for bees, I don't know.

As to almonds, all the offers I've seen with people offering up bees are in the $140 range so $200 seems pretty high. Also, availability is a little variable by region/county, so maybe a part of the state seeing a shortage was paying those prices but some areas with excess bees will be paying less.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617