Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2012 Dieback Already?

105K views 327 replies 52 participants last post by  JRG13 
#1 ·
I have heard from a beekeeper here in NY that he has been hearing of and seeing dieback in his outfit and others across the Nation, many different parts and in parts of Canada. How about y'all? Seen or heard something similar? What's going on? What are your observations or conversations about this like?

Is it mites? One guy I corresponded w/ thinks it has to do w/ the mild Winter (11/12) which was not only easy on the bees but the mites too, allowing an earlier buildup in the colonies.

Thanks for your input.

#194 ·
So would the complete abscense of insects (including bees) in the field be interpreted as a lack of any live bees in the area or could it be seen as proof that bees simply don't spend any time in corn fields and therefore dont have any exposure to the potential harmful effects.

#199 ·
You do have to remember the amount of corn around your hives doesn't come close to what is seen in agricultural area's. I've got lots of corn around my hives and see no problem, but there is more areas of non corn than corn.

#196 ·
I'm going back to the dieback of this thread. I have experienced the same symptoms stated earlier on this thread. My hives still seem to be going down. I have dribbled acid 3 weeks ago, not a huge drop, in most had to look to find mites. I treated the hives with thymol mid sept. (could not get on time). I have treated later in the past without seeing this. I need opinions on weather they will quit crashing and can be move south or is it a lost cause.

#201 ·
well put wildbranch

camero does not understand the amount of corn and beans that are being cultivated here in Southern MN, Iowa, Nd, Sd, and all these other states.
there is by far more corn and beans then anything else. banging out thousands of bee hives that were strong 2 weeks prior is not because of a drought. And actually we had ample moisture in our area compared to some others.

#203 ·
i can imagine a scenario in which the concention of neonic could rise to toxic levels.

like with the dust cloud, settling on damp soil, the neonic leaching into the soil, and the bees sucking the concentrate while foraging for water.

#205 ·
safer in low amounts, and vice versa.

maybe some of you ag folks can chime in, but seems like i've read that there are precautions taken when planting to avoid these 'dust clouds'.

it wouldn't be too hard to go downwind after a big planting, and test the soil, the ponds, ect.

i have also read that neonics build up in soil after repeated plantings, again not hard to measure.

i wonder if a safe soil level of neonic been determined?

(and considering bees tend to 'suck' water out rocks and soil rather than sip it directly.)

#210 ·
I haven't heard anything recently that's alarming but this business can be a bit like a poker game, the cards don't get layed on the table until early next year. I kind of believe that one of the biggest factors in whether bee losses get noticed isn't as much what's happening as who it's happening to. Getting a little restless and nervous though, i think i will head to the Arklatex next week to do some checking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.