Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

well put wildbranch

camero does not understand the amount of corn and beans that are being cultivated here in Southern MN, Iowa, Nd, Sd, and all these other states.
    there is by far more corn and beans then anything else. banging out thousands of bee hives that were strong 2 weeks prior is not because of a drought. And actually we had ample moisture in our area compared to some others.

Grew up in Southern Colorado. I know what it's like because I had the wheat fields - miles and miles of them around me. But I still don't think all the bee problems are from neonics.

i can imagine a scenario in which the concention of neonic could rise to toxic levels.

like with the dust cloud, settling on damp soil, the neonic leaching into the soil, and the bees sucking the concentrate while foraging for water.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Absolutely agree. The problem many beekeepers faced with the talc powder situation this spring is ample proof of that. It is an insecticide and bees are insects. That being said, I don't think the sucking from wet soil is really likely. Generally the neonics are much safer for bees and humans than the organophosphates of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Absolutely agree. The problem many beekeepers faced with the talc powder situation this spring is ample proof of that. It is an insecticide and bees are insects. That being said, I don't think the sucking from wet soil is really likely. Generally the neonics are much safer for bees and humans than the organophosphates of the past.
    safer in low amounts, and vice versa.

maybe some of you ag folks can chime in, but seems like i've read that there are precautions taken when planting to avoid these 'dust clouds'.

it wouldn't be too hard to go downwind after a big planting, and test the soil, the ponds, ect.

i have also read that neonics build up in soil after repeated plantings, again not hard to measure.

i wonder if a safe soil level of neonic been determined?

(and considering bees tend to 'suck' water out rocks and soil rather than sip it directly.)

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    Many beekeepers like my self will not have bee's for sale this spring like some years. If there arent nucs and packages and brood for sale where will the small timers get bee's ?
    You may have a point here....looks like Rossman is already sold out of packages into May. And here it is only early December.
    http://www.gabees.com/store/index.php?cPath=23
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

More reports from PA and NC. What's going on here? More CCD? Or new CCD? Or what?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

what kind of losses are you hearing about mark?

66%, 50%losses. Some none.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I haven't heard anything recently that's alarming but this business can be a bit like a poker game, the cards don't get layed on the table until early next year. I kind of believe that one of the biggest factors in whether bee losses get noticed isn't as much what's happening as who it's happening to. Getting a little restless and nervous though, i think i will head to the Arklatex next week to do some checking.

hmmm. mark, has any cause been established for those big losses?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    That would be CCD v2012/13 what else could it be?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    That would be CCD v2012/13 what else could it be?
    My bet is a breakdown in mite treatments. I feel my treatments this August/September were not as effective as past years. No losses yet but some hives are close to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    I asked too and "No" was the answer. Everything recommended was done and still lost bees. Normal managment practices and still lost bees.

My NC contact eluded to a Beekeeper returning fromn CA as the source of problems there, but no one really knows.

Where are our investigators? Our Land Grant Colleges and State Apiary Inspection Services? Is this another sign of our times? Fiscal Cliff? What about Bee Cliff?

main cause of losses this year? probably that a main mite treatment chemical is no longer available in the US. I have had at least 2-3 people a week call for bees to buy for the last 2 months they are saying no one has any for sale.

which main mite chemical would that be trapper?

lol the one that 90% of commercial beekeepers were using.

Rumored to be...... Taktik?.... The chemical that dare not speak it's name?
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-213617.html

so what is it, classified information or what?!

go ahead trapper, i have clearance.

(Fluvalinate).?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast