Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

Hi Keith
    I'll send you my contact info. My apologies for any confrontational tone. I'm just trying to describe that sometimes bees get into the combination of wrong stresses. I've pushed lots of late summer and fall pollen sub. AND IT HELPS. Pollen sub is one of my constants, not a variable. But the results still vary year to year, region to region, and yard by yard. I'd love to know what one thing makes the difference for my bees.

As I said, it was "nice stuff". I had a positive experience with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    My apologies for any confrontational tone. .
    Ryan, no apologies needed, your post's are just fine, we need to hear the good bad & ugly. Facts with no fluff. But, let me ask, when did you feed the sub that the bees died & you had to scrap off sub. This is most unsettling to me.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Late this year, sept 10-15 on the second go around for mite checks and treatment. Perhaps some could have been saved if it had gone on with the first mite treatment. Of course that would have slowed down the speed of treating the hive for mites. There is a give and take that has to be balanced.

The good yards are fine. The bad yards we returned to find full feeders, uneaten sub, very reduced populations by sept 25 - Oct 2. No more losses since then. The bees that survived the September hit look really really really good now.

I had a great crop, plenty of bees left to split and raise queens. I'd sign up for a year like this every year. I'm doing great. Great! I just wanted to share some results about dead bees. This is a business success story that involves me making money by killing my bees while I was going after a honey crop. I will do the exact same thing next year. I'm a happy camper.

I hope someone can gain from my story.

Not at all an ugly story for the feed or pollen providers. It is nice pollen sub. Those bees were just too far gone too early in the season. We just can't tell if they are sick or not when we are out feeding and treating.
    Last edited by ryan; 11-15-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Hey

Speed is key for getting the job done on time. I buy assembled and painted boxes. Assembled frames. I hire all my trucking. I fly between states when I go to work. I buy sugar liquified. I buy my queen cage candy tubes pre filled. I buy my yard rent pre packaged. I bought a forklift trailer that ties down with the flip of one lever.

How about selling me some pollen sub already in patty form?????? That shovel I had to use was not really my style.

Ha. That's funny I don't care who you are.

I'm sorry that was a low blow.

Off topic and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Where?

Mark, I'm just not saying this, I mean it. With all due repect to those losing bees, all of my costumers that I keep in close contact with are fine. My phone has been ringing off the hook with beekeepers in panic about losing bees. It's very difficult to turn them around now, it's too late.
    I know. I believe you. And believe you were being sincere w/out any ulterior motive.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Hey

Speed is key for getting the job done on time. I buy assembled and painted boxes. Assembled frames. I hire all my trucking. I fly between states when I go to work. I buy sugar liquified. I buy my queen cage candy tubes pre filled. I buy my yard rent pre packaged. I bought a forklift trailer that ties down with the flip of one lever.
    Do what you are good at and pay for the rest. An economics instructor told me that that is a good way to make money.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I mostly agree with Ryan. We build a lot of frames and boxes in the off season partly because we have the time and partly because I had a bad experience with poorly assembled frames from a bee supply house.. But most of the year my rule is beekeepers need to be beekeepers and hire professionals to do the other stuff.

You guys are treating me too seriously.

I'm just trying to Razz Keith about selling the sub in great big buckets instead of a ready to use patty

You guys are treating me too seriously.

I'm just trying to Razz Keith about selling the sub in great big buckets instead of a ready to use patty
    i know. i wish i could get a bucket of his protein mix dry.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Don't expect to find out much about the "recipe" though. It's a lot like Coca Cola or the colonels secret blend of herbs and spices. Just buy it and don't try to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ya we winter everything inside, put them away earlier this year because it got cold early this fall. Put them away just before the snow started. They will be sitting nice and tight quiet and calm until late March.
    Wow, you Canadians have it easy. We have to pull honey all year - no 6 month break in the snow here!!

Speed is key for getting the job done on time. How about selling me some pollen sub already in patty form??????
    Ha, you wont get me out of the pick up unless your going to feed five pounds plus to hives. Don't tell me your going to put five chicken squares on.

You had my undivide attention when you mention scraping out sub, if there is ever a problem with Nutra Bee Please do not hesitate to call or post here. I wan't to here the complaints so I can address them.

Make them whatever size you want. I have a honey crop to get in and bees to treat. I don't want to spend time cutting pollen patties. I want to buy them pre made, like everything else I buy. I understand you're totally sold out as it is. I'm just saying.

He does need to find a way to get a large amount of that product to the midwest.
    I am sure it would sell great here.

you have not worked one of our production seasons, I need the winter to recover lol

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post

Wow, you Canadians have it easy. We have to pull honey all year - no 6 month break in the snow here!!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    you have not worked one of our production seasons, I need the winter to recover lol
    Amen to that. 8 months of bee work...4 months in traction.

Speed is key for getting the job done on time. How about selling me some pollen sub already in patty form?????? That shovel I had to use was not really my style.
    There another Ryan up your way that was going thru 45,000lb (semi load) in four days. You can ditch the shovel, try useing a dowl & wire, pull the wire thru to make a pizza size cut the thinkness that you like. We feed 1000lbs plus per man per day. If your talken speed your talken my language.

Keith: You need to repost the video of how you do it complete with your custom made wagon. A video is worth a thousand posts. On second thought maybe you don't need to encourage even more orders. I love that icon.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm in southern BC Canada. just looked at my hives (nov 5) of the 15 out of the 40 I looked at, they are all still alive. I treated with apivar this year and I think it made a difference for sure. there was next to no ND this fall.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

nd?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast